Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Shoulder OCD

Is there anyone that could share their experience with me on healing OCD of the shoulder without doing surgery? Has anyone had any success with this? If so, how long did it take, and what did you do? For those that corrected it surgically, did you try to let it heal with crate rest first? Thanks.

Re: Shoulder OCD

In my experience OCD of the shoulder is one of the best of all of the OCD's to have. It is easily corrected by surgery if done before arthritis sets in. The dog's long term prognosis after surgery as far as being sound and pain free the rest of it's life is very good. Don't wait, it will not correct itself and it is what is best for the dog.

Re: Re: Shoulder OCD

I agree that OCD of the shoulders can be corrected if done by a competent Vet and if the owner of the dog is consistant about the physical therapy required after surgery as well as keeping the dog in a low key mode. Swimming is an excellent form of therapy per Vet's suggestion on timing etc.

Re: Shoulder OCD

It may be well worth it to get a couple of opinions.

Try to find a canine orthopedist who is well versed in using the orthopedic scopes--if the chip or flap can be removed via a scope, it's much less invasive (2 or 3 little incisions of about a half inch) and therefore a shorter recovery time. You'll still need to restrict activity during healing and recovery, but not for as long (each vet will have his/her protocol)

Good luck!

gcb

Re: Re: Shoulder OCD

I had a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog who had OCD in both shoulders. He died about 2 yrs ago at age 11. We did surgery on both shoulders and followed the protocol for recovery of crate rest. He had surgery at about 10 months of age. He was a great herding dog and did competitive obedience until he was about 8 yrs old and had no shoulder problems. He was retired because I was ready to retire-not him! I know of some who have opted to not do surgery. They did crate rest and most used Adequan injections. For the short term the dogs did well, but as they aged they had more arthritic problems than the dogs I know who had surgery. Find a orthopedic vet. who has experience in shoulder surgery. There are some very good general practitioners who have great experience as well. But I would get a couple of opinions regarding treatment and get recommendations for the surgeon if you opt for surgery.
Julia