Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Prayers Needed

Please pray for my Bunny -- she is in the ER Vets now with severe Pyometra -- not sure if she will make it til morning.

She is my heart dog.

Thank you

Re: Prayers Needed....IS THERE AN ALTERNATIVE TO SURGERY?

IS THERE AN ALTERNATIVE TO SURGERY?

HAS ANYONE TRIED THIS?

In the late 1980’s another treatment protocol became available that might be able to spare a valuable animal’s reproductive capacity. Here, special hormones called “prostaglandins” are given as injections to cause the uterus to contract and expel its pus. A week or so of hospitalization is necessary and some cramping discomfort is often experienced. The treatment takes place over the course of a week. This form of treatment is not an option in the event of a “closed” pyometra as described above.

Re: Re: Prayers Needed....IS THERE AN ALTERNATIVE TO SURGERY?

I've heard that others have successfully treated thier dogs and gone on to have litters with them BUT if your girl is as bad off as not maybe making it till morning i'd do the spay and not take a chance on loosing her.
Aloha,
Jackie

Re: Re: Re: Prayers Needed....IS THERE AN ALTERNATIVE TO SURGERY?

Thanks for the prayers Jackie -- it was suggested by the Vet and thought I would ask if any one else had tried this.

Thrread ended and thanks for the support.

DON'T RESPOND IF YOU CAN'T BE NICE - THIS IS SERIOUS STUFF - WISH I HADN'T POSTED

Treatment was suggested by WELL KNOWN REPRO Vet

Re: DON'T RESPOND IF YOU CAN'T BE NICE - THIS IS SERIOUS STUFF - WISH I HADN'T POSTED

Sorry,Julie, I have never dealt with this, so I have no experience to add here. I just wated to send prayers your way that you girl comes out of this and returns home soon.

Re: Prayers Needed

I'll pray Julie... Let us know how she does.

Re: Re: Prayers Needed....IS THERE AN ALTERNATIVE TO SURGERY?

Many years back I had a girl with pyro.
We did try the prostoglandin(sp)for about
a week and it did not get any better on my
girl. We immediately went in to spay her
and we lost her. Wish I had not waited!

I guess it depends on how early you catch
it? I don't know.

My prayers are with you and your girl..

Vicki

I hope that you have good news this morning!

The alternative to surgery works. A friend followed the protocol that Dr. Hutch recommended and bred the b**ch successfully the next time she came into season. By the way - she had her vet call Hutch and he gave them detailed instructions for the procedure.
Good luck

Re: Prayers Needed....IS THERE AN ALTERNATIVE TO SURGERY?

We have used that here three times, on an English Pointer and on a Std Poodle. Neither times were the bitches so down that we couldn't explore this option. I caught all three cases asap.
Case One-successfully used, bitch(Pointer) was rebred next season, litter born no problem(glad we tried this as there was a BIS winner there and down from that line is what my boss's daughter has today).
Case Two- mature Std bitch, great pervious fertility and whelping history. We wanted her intact for one last line breeding, did breeding, she got Pyo we treated-it did clear up. Rebred next time, no puppies so spay. When she was spayed, we had the vet examine her horns very carefully. At the very bottom of one horn, a tablespoon amount of 'ick' so Pyo starting up again. Girl spayed.
I would NOT recommend this to anyone who has a bitch that is VERY depressed and obviously VERY ill. With Pyo, early detection and quick work if you wish to treat is advisable. Natually follow your vets advice.
If you do use this method, you MUST rebred in next season.
Hope Bunny pulls thorough for you.

My prayers are with you.

I think this depends on whether it is a closed or open pyro...If it is closed and as you said "not sure if she will make it till morning" I would think surgery the best option if you are to save your girl..Glad you took her to the vet right away...Please keep us posted.

Re: Re: Prayers Needed

prayers and good healing thoughts for Bunny! and, you!

Re: Re: Re: Prayers Needed

Hi Julie -

I just noticed this thread. I just went through a case of closed cervix pyo with my young girl. Thank goodness we caught it early on...she had gone off her food and was not acting herself. We have a very good vet and she worked closely with ISU and followed the protocol that others have referred to. She did go through the treatment successfully and we will be breeding her on her next season. It is important to understand that this will come back each season unless she is bred. So, in our case if our girl does not take, she will have to be spayed.

Feel free to contact me via email if you would like. I know how scary this is. You and Bunny are in our prayers.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Prayers Needed

Thanks to those who offered prayers and support.

We did catch this in the early stages. We talked to our Repro Vet in the middle of the night and she said to hold off until she saw her unless she was in danger.

Bunny was listless and in a lot of pain but no temperature. So we have her hospitalized, on antibiotics and hormone therapy. (prostaglandins)

Because her Pyometra is "open" and draining we have very good chance of knocking this infection out of her.

We all agreed if there is no improvement or of course if she takes any turn she will spay her stat -- but for now-- we have hope that she will beat this.

Bunny is my last and only link to my foundation. I'm just a tiny breeder so I don't have any other girl to carry on the lines that I worked so hard to get the last 15 years-- and Bunny is exactly what my goal was in Labs/breeding in every way -- she is special.

Our reproductive Vet is extremely competent and we trust her implicitly and Lord willing Bunny will come through this and we'll breed her on her next heat and have a litter --if not the Bunster will be spayed to spare her any possibility of infection ever again.

I just visited Bunny and her spirits seemed improved from last night and she even ate a little breakfast.

I send my thanks to those of you who responded thoughtfully and caring - Laurie - Victoria - Kim - Nancy - Think good thoughts - alternative to surgery - Vicki - Breeder - Sue - Stacey!

This lab mom is really tired and it's a long drive to LA - The Valley - from where I live to the Vet’s office – 4-5 hours round trip. It took 6 hours today due to the terrible fires.

Please feel free to email me privately - again thank you. God Listened -- there were lots of prayers for my little "Bunster".

I’m more than happy to share my experience with this to help someone else. julie@suncountrylabs.com

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi Julie -

I just noticed this thread. I just went through a case of closed cervix pyo with my young girl. Thank goodness we caught it early on...she had gone off her food and was not acting herself. We have a very good vet and she worked closely with ISU and followed the protocol that others have referred to. She did go through the treatment successfully and we will be breeding her on her next season. It is important to understand that this will come back each season unless she is bred. So, in our case if our girl does not take, she will have to be spayed.

Feel free to contact me via email if you would like. I know how scary this is. You and Bunny are in our prayers.

Prayers for Bunny to beat this infection and be home with you soon.

Hi Julie,

I hope Bunny is doing better and makes a full recovery. My Prayers are with her and you. Good Luck with your baby!

Julie, just got into the Forum, and read the posts...sounds like you are on top of things, and if it's an open pyo the outcome is so much more positive!
Best of luck with your Bunny!

Re: Re: Prayers Needed

Hi Julie,

I'm really late getting on the forum. I am sending prayers and good thoughts your way for Bunny.
Hope everything is OK.

Please let us know how she is doing.

Don't ever wish you hadn't posted. We're all here for each other.

Donna

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Prayers Needed

Will continue to pray your girl gets through this and your able to get a nice litter from her. Keep us posted! Thank God i've never had to deal with that problem yet in any of my girls!
Aloha,
Jackie