Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bitch In Standing Heat Who Is Blowing Coat

I thought girls in heat were supposed to look their best ever. She looks great but is blowing coat like mad. She did not blow prior to going in. Is she confused ... or am I?

Re: Bitch In Standing Heat Who Is Blowing Coat

Drastic change in the weather/temp contributing to it perhaps???

My girl always blows coat when she is coming into season.

Well certainly we've had drastic weather changes -- I'm in NE and it's been very up and down.

Just curious if others have had this experience, as I thought they typically held their coat while in season.

Some bitches will blow coat while in season or while pg, I had one that would go bare skin while pg and after she had the pups she looked great, go figure eh? :} I guess each one is different.
Aloha,
jackie

Thanks for the info Jackie. It was a big help to at least know that this isn't "unheard of".

Somtimes they need Wormed befor they come in, or they will start blowing.

They like to screw up their coats, don't they? They'll time their seasons so they are blowing in the winter when everyone else is in full winter jackets.

The point at which her coat should be prime is right at the time she would be whelping. So in about 2 months she should look great. She's probably doing a little blowing of coat right now due to the change of seasons.

The very best coats of all are after a litter of puppies...

Re: Re: Bitch In Standing Heat Who Is Blowing Coat

Bitch that I had that blew coat while in heat and pg didn't have any worms at all, I don't like to worm my dogs unless they do have worms which I haven't had in 20 years.
Aloha,
jackie

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Somtimes they need Wormed befor they come in, or they will start blowing.

I have one who goes naked while nursing pups.Then she looks terrible for when puppy clients come. itchy and scratching. and takes her about 6 wks after the pups are gone to grow it back and stop itching. The others just blow 4wks prior to coming in to heat. but aren't as naked while nursing.

Re: Re: Re: Bitch In Standing Heat Who Is Blowing Coat

WOW!! thats hard to believe my group goes on walks through fields and ditches,through the the yard and they go hunting every drinking yucky water in every mud puddle along the way. Besides being plaine old labs that pick up any dead creepy animal known to man aposume, squirle, coon, mice, mole, birds of all sorts, and trash too!! Man if you have not had to worm in tenty years thats great, not my dogs they all need some safe guard from time to time and I always make sure the girls have some weeks befor they are due in if they will be bred other wise sure enough they pass it right to the pups and blow coat way to early.