Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Coccidia

I took in a new foster service dog yesterday. He went to vet today for well check and has coccidia. I have never had this before.

I need advice to make sure my dogs do not get it and that I will not have problems in the future with my puppies.

TIA,
Dayna

Re: Coccidia

Unfortunately, too late.

You can take precautions, but once it's in your yard, it's very hard to get rid of. We never had it until last year. We bought a new pup from another breeder and she had it when we got her. It took awhile to diagnose as the first fecal didn't catch it. As a result, 3 of the 4 litters we had last year ended up with it. We treated every dog in our kennel with Albon and disinfected everything multiple times. Our last litter didn't get it, so we thought we were in the clear. Until our current litter, who will be 6 weeks tomorrow, got it.

I would pick a place in your yard where only this new dog can use the bathroom. Don't let any other dog in that area and don't let the new dog potty anywhere else. When you go out there to clean up or do whatever, take your shoes off immediately afterwards and disinfect them as well as anything else that may have come in contact with the area (clothing, gloves, etc.).

Why is it too late?

He only went potty once on my property and it was the front yard where my dogs do not go. He went to work with me today and has not been around my dogs yet.

I was planning on only having him potty in a certain area that my dogs do not go and then picking up immediately. Then spraying the yard with ammonia and then when he is better burning that area of the yard.(I live in the country and could easily do this)

My main concern is should I keep him isolated from the other dogs. Can they get it from just playing with him? He has no symptoms. It was found because on all first time well checks we take in a stool sample for worms.

My future girls are young, 10 months and 1 year, so we will not be having pups for well over a year. I do have 2 stud dogs and 2 neutered boys and one other retired girl.

Dayna

Re: Re: Coccidia

what I meant was your dogs have already been exposed. It's not an uncommon thing and many breeders deal with it so don't feel bad.
Your new dog most likely tracked it all over the place just by walking around. That is why it's so hard to eliminate, because it's so easily spread.
The only way it's not all over is if your new dog didn't walk anywhere or touch anything.

sounds like you have it undercontrol and know all the answers

Re: Re: Re: Coccidia

Are you all a-holes on here are there just a few changing their name from time to time. I don't care what it is someone posts on here someone has something smart or snotty to say!! I know it's just 3 or 4 of you doing it and I , along with ALL the other civil people on here whould just like to know WHY??? Just a simple answer is all. Now, lets see how many smart a** answers I get now. Does anyone else on here agree with me or not?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

sounds like you have it undercontrol and know all the answers

Re: Re: Re: Re: Coccidia

Yes, Wiser Old Owl, I agree. Now, how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?

... the world may never know

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Coccidia

I don't know, but I am having a blast playing with my new PC Pal! He is the cutest thing! He digs just like my Choco Boy!!!

Vyisdur Zomenimor Orzizazziz Zanzaris Orziz?

Coccidia only strikes when the dogs resistance is low for what ever reason, young puppies do not have a fully developed immune system so they are especially prone to this problem if it is present. Probably your foster has lived a rough life creating the environment for Coccidia to thrive. I would not worry about your adult dogs, there should not be an issue.
If you live in an area where Coccidia is common, no matter what you do, your puppies very likely will come down with it. It really is not a big deal as long as you can recognize the symptoms and treat it on a timely basis.

If I knew all the answers I would not have asked the question. This is why newbie’s hate using their real names. But I thought others would be more respectful and helpful if I did. I try to always use my real name except when posting sensitive questions.

I was asking a simple question and except for a couple of people the others acted childish, selfish, hateful, and immature. What is wrong with you peolpe? Do you not have anything better to do then pick on others? Like others have said in the past, you need to take a few lesson from your Labradors. They are a sweet tempered dog that gets along and loves everyone.

Now to answer a few questions.

I have never had coccidia and it is not common in my area that I know of. This puppy was not living in harsh conditions. He came from a well respected field kennel. We only take dogs from responsible breeder that do all clearences. We want these dogs to be healthy and live long lives for their partners.

He has not had free roam everywhere. Last night he was allowed to play with me in my large bathroom on tile and the floor was and will continue to be cleaned after each play and training session. After going potty I made sure he did not step in it and I pulled all grass around where he popped and then sprayed with cleaner. We will burn this area after he is better. I then wiped his feet with a baby wipe.

Now if the adults on the forum can answer here is what I was looking for.

Can he give it to other dogs through play?

I know it may not affect my older dogs but will they become carries no matter what I do?

I do not want this to be the case. I do not want to have to deal with coccidia in ever litter.
If this is the case, I will pass this puppy to another trainer that does not breed dogs.

Again pleas only answer if you have some heplful to say.

Dayna

Dayna, I understand Coccida is like a virus and "lives" in the ground and is hard/impossible(?) to completely get rid of. Never tried burning the ground though. Good luck!

Coccidiosis
Coccidiosis is the disease caused by coccidian infection. Coccidiosis is a parasitic disease of the intestinal tract of animals, caused by coccidian protozoa. The disease spreads from one animal to another by contact with infected feces, or ingestion of infected tissue. Diarrhea, which may become bloody in severe cases, is the primary symptom. Most animals infected with coccidia are asymptomatic; however, young or immuno-compromised animals may suffer severe symptoms, including death.

While coccidian organisms can infect a wide variety of animals, including humans and livestock, they are usually species-specific. One well-known exception is toxoplasmosis, caused by Toxoplasma gondii.

Coccidia in dogs
People often first encounter coccidia when they acquire a young puppy who is infected. The infectious organisms are canine-specific and are not contagious to humans (compare to zoonotic diseases).

Young puppies are frequently infected with coccidia and often develop active Coccidiosis -- even puppies obtained from diligent professional breeders. Infected puppies almost always have received the parasite from their mother's feces. Typically, healthy adult animals shedding the parasite's oocysts in their feces will be asymptomatic due to their developed immune systems. However, undeveloped immune systems make puppies more susceptible. Further, stressors such as new owners, travel, weather changes, and unsanitary conditions are believed to activate infections in susceptible animals.

Symptoms in young dogs are universal: at some point around 2-3 months of age, an infected dog develops persistently loose stools. This diarrhea procedes to stool containing liquid, thick mucus, and light colored fecal matter. As the infection progresses, spots of blood may become apparent in the stool, and sudden bowel movements may surprise both dog and owner alike. Coccidia infection is so common that any pup under 4 months old with these symptoms can almost surely be assumed to have coccidiosis.

Fortunately, the treatment is inexpensive, extremely effective, and routine. A veterinarian can easily diagnose the disease through low-powered microscopic examination of an affected dog's feces, which usually will be replete with oocysts. One of many easily administered and inexpensive drugs will be prescribed, and, in the course of just a few days, an infection will be eliminated or perhaps reduced to such a level that the dog's immune system can make its own progress against the infection. Even when an infection has progressed sufficiently that blood is present in feces, permanent damage to the gastrointestinal system is rare, and the dog will most likely make a complete recovery without long-lasting negative effects.

If one dog of a litter has coccidiosis, then most certainly all dogs at a breeder's kennels have active coccidia infections. Breeders should be notified if a newly-acquired pup is discovered to be infected with coccidia. Breeders can take steps to eradicate the organism from their kennels, including applying medications in bulk to an entire facility.

Genera and species that cause coccidiosis
Genus Isospora is the most common cause of intestinal coccidiosis in dogs and cats and is usually what is meant by coccidiosis. Species of Isospora are species specific, meaning they only infects one type of species. Species that infect dogs include I. canis, I. ohioensis, I. burrowsi, and I. neorivolta. Species that infect cats include I. felis and I. rivolta. The most common symptom is diarrhea. Sulfonamides are the most common treatment.
Genus Cryptosporidium contains two species known to cause cryptosporidiosis, C. parvum and C. muris. Cattle are most commonly affected by Cryptosporidium, and their feces are often assumed to be a source of infection for other mammals including humans. Recent genetic analyses of Cryptosporidium in humans have identified Cryptosporidium hominis as a new species specific for humans. Infection occurs most commonly in individuals that are immunocompromised, e.g. dogs with canine distemper, cats with feline leukemia virus infection, and humans with AIDS. Very young puppies and kittens can also become infected with Cryptosporidium, but the infection is usually eliminated without treatment.
Genus Hammondia is transmitted by ingestion of cysts found in the tissue of grazing animals and rodents. Dogs and cats are the definitive hosts, with the species H. heydorni infecting dogs and the species H. hammondi and H. pardalis infecting cats. Hammondia usually does not cause disease.
Genus Besnoitia infect cats that ingest cysts found in the tissue of rodents and opossum, but usually does not cause disease.
Genus Sarcocystis infect carnivores that ingest cysts from various intermediate hosts. It is possible for Sarcocystis to cause disease in dogs and cats.
Genus Toxoplasma has one important species, Toxoplasma gondii. Cats are the definitive host, but all mammals and some fish, reptiles, and amphibians can be intermediate hosts. Therefore, only cat feces will hold infective oocysts, but infection through ingestion of cysts can occur with the tissue of any intermediate host. Toxoplasmosis occurs in humans usually as low-grade fever or muscle pain for a few days. A normal immune system will suppress the infection but the tissue cysts will persist in that animal or human for years or the rest of its life. In immunocompromised individuals, those dormant cysts can be reactivated and cause many lesions in the brain, heart, lungs, eyes, etc. Without a competent immune system, the animal or human will most likely die from the infection. For pregnant women, the fetus is at risk if the pregnant woman becomes infected for the first time during pregnancy. If the woman had been infected during childhood or adolescence, she will have an immunity that will protect her developing fetus during pregnancy. The most important misconception about the transmission of toxoplasmosis comes from statements like 'ingestion of raw or undercooked meat, or cat feces.' Kitchen hygiene is much more important because people do tend to taste marinades or sauces before being cooked, or chop meat then vegetables without properly cleaning the knife and cutting board. Many physicians mistakenly put panic in their pregnant clients and advise them to get rid of their cat without really warning them of the likely sources of infection. Adult cats are very unlikely to shed infective oocysts. Symptoms in cats include fever, weight loss, diarrhea, vomiting, uveitis, and central nervous system signs. Disease in dogs includes a rapidly progressive form seen in dogs also infected with distemper, and a neurological form causing paralysis, tremors, and seizures. Dogs and cats are usually treated with clindamycin.
Genus Neospora has one important species, Neospora caninum, that affects dogs in a manner similar to toxoplasmosis. Neosporosis is difficult to treat.
Genus Hepatozoon contains one species that causes hepatozoonosis in dogs and cats, Hepatozoon canis. Animals become infected by ingesting an infected Rhipicephalus sanguineus, also known as the brown dog tick. Symptoms include fever, weight loss, and pain of the spine and limbs.
The most common medications used to treat coccidian infections are in the sulphonamide family. Although unusual, sulphonamides can damage the tear glands in some dogs, causing keratoconjunctivitis sicca, or "dry eye", which may have a life-long impact. Some veterinarians recommend measuring tear production prior to sulphonamide administration, and at various intervals after administration. Other veterinarians will simply avoid using sulphonamides, instead choosing another product effective against coccidia.

Left untreated, the infection may clear of its own accord, or in some cases may continue to ravage an animal and cause permanent damage or, occasionally, death

Great Info to tuck away Anonymous - tks! Do you have anything on Giardia??? TIA.

Dear JMO-
If you do a search on this forum for Giardia you will find lots of postings and info on it. Invaluable information from folks who really know.
A

Already done but thanks!

Re: Re: Thought I was being helpful??

In my answer??

Re: Re: Re: Thought I was being helpful??

Gregg,

I am sorry, your post was not one of the mean ones. I thought I was trying to answer and give you some information about the sitation here.

This pup is 8 weeks old and was donated to be a service dog. I got him on Tuesday. I have not had pups in over a year and will not be having pups for at least a year or 2. My dogs or land do not have coccidia and I would like to keep it that way.

I need to know if we will be okay if I make sure the area he potties is burned so it does not stay in the dirt will that be enough to make sure future puppies do not get.

Will my dogs get it from playing him and then become carries?

Thank you for the time to answer in a nice way.

Dayna

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thought I was being helpful??

Dayna, honestly, why are you so worried about it?
It's not a death sentence nor does it reflect badly on his breeder.
I just think you are over reacting...big time.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thought I was being helpful??

Why would I want to knowingly introduce something into my surroundings that can make puppies sick?

Just because a lot of others have it does not mean I want it in my yard. I never said it reflected bad on anyone. I just do not want my pups to have it.

I have put a lot of hard work getting my breeding program up and going in the right direction. Why would I want to do anything that would harm it?

I think JMO that unless you have something useful to say do not answer a post and if you do use your name.

JMHO
Dayna

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thought I was being helpful??

There are two "JMOs" - I'm the first one so pls don't paint all JMOs with the same brush pls. I totally understand your concern & hope you can get a handle on it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thought I was being helpful??

To answer your question Dayna, Your dog probably have already been exposed to it at some point. I'm sure they have been to a dog show or out in public. So Why get rid of the puppy?????????? I had it in a litter three years ago and have NOT had it again in my last two litters.
also
"I need to know if we will be okay"
Nothing in this life time has a guarentee. Take the good with the bad and it will all work out :)

Greg gave you wonder information, so read it agian and make your own choice.

How many of you with adult dogs who get coccidia end up treating them with Albon for an extra week due to it not quite going away after the first week worth of treatment ?

Non of my other dogs have come down with it so their immune systems must be working good. I'll no sooner get my one dog's stools to normal and a few days later they are back to the mushy to loose stools again. I do't want my dog to become dependant on Albon to keep the Coccidia at bay.

How many days do you treat with Albon to get rid of it ?

Are you sure this is coccidia and not giardia? It sounds suspiciously like giardia to me....JMHO.
A

I'll have to agree with you, it does not sound like Coccidia to me. It is highly unusual for an adult to get it, their resistance has to be in the gutter.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Coccidia

I agree. This forum can do without all the ignorant and rude comments. If you cant say something nice....dont say anything at all!

Stress can bring on symptoms in a carrier.

Re: Re: Re: Coccidia

First off, I treated my dog (11 months old at the time) for worms using the usual..Safeguard for 3 days. Waited to see if her mushy stools to loose stools got better. They did not so I got her on Albon for a length of time. Then it came back shortly after treatment. So then I thought it has to be Giardia so I treated her with Fish Zole per her weight and directions for Giardia as far as length of time. Still her stools have been mushy. Now I have her back on Albon and now she has had formed to normal stools while on Albon.

This is why I was wondering if I should keep her on it for longer than a week or give her a week off of it then back on it for another week.? She isn't under any stress whatso ever, gets lots of attention and is a house dog.

I thought Giardia had some mucousy stuff in their stools ?? At one point I noticed a little mucous in her stools so I started her on the Fish zole and went the entire length of time. I have to say the Albon is working the best.

If it comes back after her albon treatment is over this time, I am taking her in for radiographs and a culture. She isn't throwing up but I wonder if she has a partial blockage that is irritating her bowels ? She eats rocks...little rocks. Then I think if this were the case, her stools would not be normal even while on Albon. And, none of my other dogs have losoe stools and they all run together. I clean up all the dog poop daily but still, you would think if it is Giardia and Coccidia they would all have symptoms by now.

Giardia is a sneaky b------. It often has a false negative and you need to treat it for 7 days, off 5 then on 7. I treated with flagyl and panacure at the same time. I'm still suspicious of it and would think about treating for it. Also you might think about Forti Flora in case the intestinal balance is off due to antibiotics or meds...it will take a while to get that backon track. Do not do the Forti Flora within 4 hours of treating with any antibiotic...learned that here.

Good luck - I know how frustrating this can be!
A

I posted a remedy for coccidia and giardia in a thread reading...puppies...IS OK...dosage...I swear this is the best stuff I have EVER used. I have had none of that stuff ever since using this. I have also never had a problem with the "mystery bug" that was going around...looked like parvo but did not smell like parvo and wouldn't affect every puppy...but affected every litter. Had an autopsy done and no conclusion was made...Just try it.

Good point about the flora....plain yogurt works well but it has to be the Dannon brand...only one that has the bifidusregulra...did I spell that right? and the puppies LOVE it...they would...smells rotten.

Replying to:

Giardia is a sneaky b------. It often has a false negative and you need to treat it for 7 days, off 5 then on 7. I treated with flagyl and panacure at the same time. I'm still suspicious of it and would think about treating for it. Also you might think about Forti Flora in case the intestinal balance is off due to antibiotics or meds...it will take a while to get that backon track. Do not do the Forti Flora within 4 hours of treating with any antibiotic...learned that here.

Good luck - I know how frustrating this can be!
A

Dayna, I think people are just trying to tell you that coccidia is really no big deal. Common, easy to treat, no lasting effects. You could go through all of that trouble burning the spots on your lawn, and a crow could come by and poop on your lawn and you have it again. It's much easier to treat it as it comes along, or prevent it. I use Tylan for my young pups to prevent the diarrhea. Tylan doesn't kill coccidia, it just prevents it from multiplying, enabling the pup to develop its own natural immunity just like adult dogs have. If your pups/dogs aren't exposed to it at your house, they will get exposed somewhere, and you'll have to deal with the mess away from home.

Re: Re: Coccidia questions for Nancy or one of the veterinarians

I have 3 week old puppies and I KNOW coccidia will arrive in a couple of weeks! I have always used Albon and have never tried Tylan.

Nancy, when do you start to treat with Tylan? Before the symptoms start?

What dosage do you use? Do you just put a little bit in the food pans?

How long do you treat?

Is it better than Albon?

Do you send puppies home with some Tylan powder?

Re: Re: Re: Coccidia questions for Nancy or one of the veterinarians

Use Ponazuril,, works like a dream,, it is cure not a treatment,, give it for 2 days,,0.01 cc per pound,,it is generic for Marquis

Re: Re: Re: Re: Coccidia questions for Nancy or one of the veterinarians

Is this a wormer or Sulfa and where do you purchase?

Replying to:

Use Ponazuril,, works like a dream,, it is cure not a treatment,, give it for 2 days,,0.01 cc per pound,,it is generic for Marquis

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Coccidia questions for Nancy or one of the veterinarians

WOW.. this stuff is SO expensive...does anyone really use it? It's more than my mortgage!!