Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lump on Puppy??

I have a friend with a 6 month old puppy. Last month, she noticed a lump and took him to the vet. The vet said to keep an eye on it and if it got any bigger, than he wanted to see him again and would possibly need to operate. This lump is on his spine, right between his shoulder blades. Any thoughts as to what this may be?

Re: Lump on Puppy??

Good morning....What breed is it?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I have a friend with a 6 month old puppy. Last month, she noticed a lump and took him to the vet. The vet said to keep an eye on it and if it got any bigger, than he wanted to see him again and would possibly need to operate. This lump is on his spine, right between his shoulder blades. Any thoughts as to what this may be?

Was this puppy microchipped? I've had this happen before... it was hematoma caused by chip placement; must have hit a blood vessel... nothing serious though.

Re: Re: Lump on Puppy??

He is a registered Labrador Retiever

No, he was not microchipped. He was tatooed. Would a needle from a vaccination cause this?

Re: Re: Re: Lump on Puppy??

Yes, they can get knots or bumps from shots. Others would know more about this. But have had it happen more than once.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lump on Puppy??

My first thought was a lump from a puppy vaccination. Just keep an eye on it.

One of my girls have a couple of lumps on her back around the area she got microchiped and vaccinated. You could kind of move it around a little bit. The vet thought it was from her shots and said the same thing to watch it and if it did not go away or got larger he would biopsy it. After a couple of weeks they went away.

One of my girls got a lump the size of a baseball on her back between the shoulder blades. Vet thought it may have been from a spider bite. It did go away after a couple weeks. We put her on some antibiotics which seemed to make the swelling go down quicker, although he didn't seem to think the site was infected.

Re: Re: Re: Lump on Puppy??

My girl got an egg size lump over her shoulder blade, if I'm remembering the site correctly, after her final puppy shots. It took forever to go away.

I had a dog with what sounds like the same thing. At 6 months we had it surgically removed and had him neutered at the same time.
Vet said the lump was actually attached to the spinal cord and prognosis was not great. He could not remove the entire thing without paralyzing the puppy
So he got as much as he could.
The incision was big and nasty, looked like someone tried to cut his head off.
But happily the tumor never grew bigger again and he lived 8 years.
He did die of bone cancer, may or may not have been related.