Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
going home weekend

My little black girl has captured my heart. As we cuddle she and I bump muzzles and I feel her stiff coarse little whiskers and say good bye. Her yellow sister will be staying here with me...she is a touch more "correct." I know I'll fall in love with the little yellow girl and black Maggie is going to a wonderful home..a big "sister" from a prior breeding and loving home with a stay at home Mom whose kids will be these two. Even an island for summer swimming and fun....
But still isn't it often hard to say good-bye to that one special pup?

Re: going home weekend

OMG, YES!! I tear up when each one leaves, but there's always a special one who tugs at your heart even more... I'm glad someone else has these pangs when it comes to saying goodbye.

Barb

I feel your pain, I have pups 5 weeks old right now, and though final decisions have not been made, I just know the one pup that has stole my heart probably will not make the cut. All I can do is hope I get lots of pictures and visits with her

Re: Re: going home weekend

I understand fully. It is the worst pain in your heart. Sometimes it really hurts to do the right thing. Placing a pup, either deciding between two or keeping that small one a little longer to give it a good start. Most, but not all litters have that special pup. Sounds like a good home and I bet, pictures will be coming.

Yes, I have pups going shortly too, and I always feel mixed feelings. Good that the pup has gotten a good screened home, and I know it's time for their world to expand, in a way that we can't do with a litter, yet sad to see them go. And I agree, there's always a little "tink" that steals my heart. I always call my smallest female tink. This was something my mentor did too and it just stuck. One family decided to keep the name for their little girl and though she's about 7 now, I still get emails from "her," as if written by her. I always figure the day we no longer have these feelings toward our puppies is the day we need to stop breeding.

Enjoy every last minute with your babies.

I know what you mean. I bawled over little black "crooktail" last week. She wasn't correct in much of any way, except temperament. she was tiny. She had a crooked tail, straight shoulders, not much mass or head, etc, but she had to fight for everything she ever got in the litter. She just dug herself deep into my heart. I know she's in a wonderful home, but I'm tearing up here just thinking about her. I can soooo sympathize with you. I guess if we didn't feel this way, we wouldn't be into dogs.

I know how you feel. They are all hard to let go of. But my first born girl in my last litter just touched my heart. She was a pet quality pup so I had to give her up tearfully.

But, she comes to visit for boarding often and it helps.

Luv to read this - just confirms how much your dogs mean to you!

I get so sad watching other breeders puppies go home, and whispy...I think I will have to put the puppies from my first litter on the front porch in a cardboard box...not really. But I will be a basket case!

lol Melissa
This is the one part of breeding I dread also.
It is nice to hear that so many of you feel that way about your pups. That's why your'e such good breeders.

Oh goodness, you made me remember the Special Pup from my last litter...a little dude who was the darkest of the bunch, almost red. The litter was born on Valentine's, and this little fellow we dubbed Eros. Truly a special puppy...among other things, we discovered him to be marked with genuine Bolo pads.

He had so much confidence in me that once, during stacking-on-the-table and photography time, he ran straight off the edge of the table and flew into my arms...absolutely no fear in that tiny little dog.

I ended up keeping his brother who had more substance...but I'll always have a soft spot for him.

I am Sooooo glad this subject came up....My sister literally comes over to help me on adoption day, because I am just a bawl baby. I am always so happy that our babies are going to live with wonderful families, but I am at the same time, in tears that I have to say goodbye. I always say a prayer for them, give them a kiss and place them into the new families arms...It is sooooo hard to do!

Boy oh Boy - Thanks alot for the tears.

My last litter was the hardest for me to let go.
I had one black boy that had me crying 2 days before.
The morning he left I was crying when I got up, crying in the shower and really crying when I handed him over to his new owners. The only thing that made me feel alittle better was that he went to a really good home. They love him to pieces. The day they came to pick out which pup they wanted the wife took a picture of me and the pup. She framed the picture and it sits on my entertainment center.

It's really good to know I'm not the only one that has a hard time with it.

Donna

Re: Re: Re: going home weekend

Our last litter I was finally able to get to keep that special "heart puppy" the one that captures your heart and won't let go, this one is finally mine!!!
and wouldn't you know she looks so much like her dad!!!