Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
no prescriptions for Albon and some heartworm meds

Just found this site and it is in Missouri. The first place I have found in the US that sells suspension Albon without a prescription.

http://www.agri-med.com

Re: no prescriptions for Albon and some heartworm meds

Oops, may be wrong about this.

Albon is available as a livestock wormer - I have a gallon of it that we use when we have chicks. I figured the puppy dose, problem is the stuff is so horrible tasting, even when mixed with lots of corn syrup or other good tasting stuff, it was still impossible to get into the puppies LOL.

***The following is what I do when I need to use Albon. Please note, I am NOT a Vet, nor do I pretend to be one.***

This was sent to me by a friend. And there is NO problem with the taste, our dogs eat it right up without hesitation!

Hope this helps,

Dana Loud
www.mirabellelabs.com

What I do is buy the Sulfadimethoxine 12 1/2% solution (generic Albon) from Lambriar Vet Supply without a prescription and for a lot less money. Active ingredients: Each fluid ounce contains 3.75 grams Sulfadimethoxine solubilized with sodium hydroxide. I buy the one-gallon size jug of the generic brand of Albon which is the Sulfadimethoxine 12 1/2% solution for $38.95 per gallon or you could also buy the Albon 12 1/2% solution for $56.95 per gallon (both prices current as of 10-14-06) rather than spend $35 - $50 for the office visit and 7 to 10 @ 125 mg prescription only pills that your Vet will sell to you.

The gallon jug of liquid Sulfadimethoxine is enough antibiotic to medicate for several months or even years. If you have more than one dog to treat with the Sulfadimethoxine drug for a coccidiosis outbreak, I highly recommend you follow in my footsteps and buy and use the gallon size jug of this medication as well as another product described below and then you can make your own 5% Albon solution just like you get from the Vet.

I also purchase a gallon jug of Dyne High Calorie Supplement, which is a liquid nutritional supplement, from Lambriar Vet Supply. I buy the one-gallon size jug for around $34.95 each. This product is formulated to provide a nutrient dense liquid diet with essential vitamins and has a high caloric value. This product expedites the rate of recovery of weak or sick animals. It also may be fed as is or diluted with milk for animals unable to eat solid foods.

Then mix 5 ounces of Dyne High Calorie Supplement with 4 ounces of the Sulfadimethoxine 12 1/2% solution discussed above. This gives me a very palatable mixture of the 5% Albon (Rx) at a 85% or higher savings without the required prescription or the expense of a Vet office visit. I know many breeders that are paying $75 per pint for the 5% Albon (Rx) solution that they get from their Vet. This will give you approximately 2-gallons of the 5% Albon (RX) for only $75 rather than only 1-pint that a Vet will sell you for $75 -- you figure up the savings! Once you have this 5% Albon solution mix, each teaspoonful (5 mL) will contain 250 mg of Sulfadimethoxine. Dogs should receive 1 teaspoonful of this 5% Albon Oral Suspension mixture per 10 lb of body weight (25 mg/lb or 55 mg/kg) as an initial dose, followed by ½ teaspoonful per 10 lb of body weight (12.5 mg/lb or 27.5 mg/kg) every 24 hours thereafter. Give this treatment for a total of 10 days. The medication may be administered in food or water, given as a drench orally. I give each dog its own food and medicine in its own feed dish to make sure each dog is getting the proper amount of food and medicine or at least use it as a drench to be given orally to each dog/puppy. This Sulfadimethoxine 12 1/2% solution mixed with the Dyne High Calorie Supplement will save you hundreds of dollars a year. I urge all kennels to keep a gallon of each handy. This Sulfadimethoxine 5% solution mix has a wide margin for safety, is very easy to administer, and absolutely works miracles on getting rid of coccidiosis. Coccidiosis is so easily spread from one dog to the next, I highly recommend all dogs owned get a full treatment even if only one shows symptoms, better to be safe than sorry.

Re: Re: no prescriptions for Albon and some heartworm meds

Hi Dana -

I have used this exact formula as well and have had trouble getting the dogs to take it. Lot's of drooling, head shaking, etc... Any tricks to getting it down without all the theatrics?

Thanks!

Stacey

Re: Re: Re: no prescriptions for Albon and some heartworm meds

You can use artificial sweetener packets. The lady at the online store I bought my Albon from said not to mix the Albon solution with Sugar or anything with sugar in it.

Now what I do is mix the Albon with plain yogurt and give it to my dog or dogs for breakfast. They will pout and give me the look but when they realize they need to it the Albon mixture first to get their kibble, they begrudgingly eat the Yogurt with Albon.

Re: Re: no prescriptions for Albon and some heartworm meds

Hmm, I use the same exact recipe and my pups HATE HATE HATE it. They foam at the mouth after I squirt it in!

Re: NO NO NO JOY

Veterinarians are now warning that you should keep artificial sweeteners away from your pooch.
Experts say a commonly used sweetener found in chewing gum, candies, baked goods, and toothpaste could cause LIVER FAILURE in dogs.

Even a small amount of the sugar substitute Xylitol can trigger a significant insulin release, which experts believe causes a drop in a dog's blood sugar level. The decline in blood sugar can be FATAL.

My litter had Albon that I got from my vet and they *loved* it. It smelled like orange and was very orange colored. I just put the dose on a plate and they went crazy for it. Does anyone know where we can buy it like that?

Hello Dana, I came across this looking for help and I was just wondering if I didn't mix the Sulfadimethoxine with the dyne high calorie supplement would it still be the same dose? The one teaspoon per 10lbs? Thank you this seemed very helpful

It is now 2017 and I'm wondering where to purchase Albon? Does anyone know of a online order from another country?