Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Male pup with one testicle

We have a male pup that we were hoping to eventually use as a stud. He is currently 13 weeks old. When his breeder took him in for his health certificate at 8 weeks old, she said one of his testicles hadn't yet dropped but wasn't too concerned about it. When we took him in to our vet at 10 weeks old, he told us he could only feel one but not to worry yet, that the other would likely drop by the time he reached 4 months old. Today, my fiance took a couple of the other dogs in and happened to have the pup with him. So he had our vet take another look and this time, she said she still couldn't feel the second testicle and that we should be pretty worried at this point. She said if it hasn't descended yet, it's very unlikely that it ever will. I have set up an appointment with our repro vet to have him examined, but wanted to see if anyone has any similar experiences. When his breeder told me about this, she said she once had a dog that didn't drop his second testicle until he was over 5 months old. Should I really be worried at only 13 weeks? Thanks for any input.

Re: Male pup with one testicle

My boy's second testicle dropped between 12 and 13 weeks. I had just called Dr. Hutch's office to schedule an exam because I wanted to know what had happened to the missing testicle. I was told he didn't want to see him for that problem until he turned 4 months. Low and behold, just after I made the inquiry, he had two!

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you and your boy!

I know someone who kept pic male from her litter and his one testicle didn't drop so she placed him in a pet home. At 6 months the testicle dropped. So it has been known to drop later rather than sooner.

I had a male in my last litter that went to a pet home with only one dropped. By 9 months it still hadn't dropped and their vet didn't want to wait any longer to neuter. Upon neutering the vet could not find the other testicle and had to go in abdominally to find it. There was no vas defference (sp) so it never would have decended.

Sometimes the undecended testicle gets wrapped around something preventing the decent.

I would give your boy some time before you worry.

Thanks, that gives me some hope! The pup will actually be 13 weeks old this coming Sunday. I didn't think it was anything to be concerned about just yet, I thought we had a few more weeks before we needed to worry. But now my fiance is upset and I'm trying to reassure him. Our appointment with the repro vet isn't for another week and a half, so hopefully it will drop between now and then!

Isn't it funny how this effects our Men??! I hope your pup's other testicle drops soon too!

Re: Re: Male pup with one testicle

Hi,

I have a 10 mo. old that I didn't think I would ever feel one much less two. I thought OH NO. It was just real small. It took a good while to feel two.
But he definitely has two now. I think he was close to 6 mos. before I really felt two.

I would wait longer before I panic.

Donna

Hi. Don't want to ruin your hope for your boy's testicle eventually descending, but ... It would be great if it eventually dropped to avoid abdominal surgery. I would need to check my references again, but I was under the impression that if the testicles didn't drop by 6 weeks, the male could pass this trait on to his future pups. Even if your boy's other testicle descends, you may run the risk of having male pups with similar problems.

Thanks everyone! It appears as though his other testicle has dropped. We had him on his back last night, completely relaxed, and we both felt 2 without applying much pressure. I guess it was just hiding! We're still going to take him to the repro vet just to be sure, but we're so relieved.