Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
UKCAKC

May I ask what UKC is and what UKC registered & why bothor AKC and UKC registration may be offered? How does the UKC point system work when showing a dog? Can you register with both?

Is this also the other International Champion organisation {Not an International Champion that has their Championship in several countries?}

I have heard of BYB's that offer CKC that means Continental Kennel Club; not Canadian Kennel Club. They say its like Sprite and Seven Up pop being competitors and are equally the same; I do not argee with that statement. I suspect this is not in the same realm as that. I wanted to know what UKC ismeans and how it works compared to AKC sanctioned show & if someone has the time or patience to explain it. Thanks in advance for assistance in better understanding this. Gosh this is getting more confusing the more I am typing when it comes to the abbreves of each club. I feel kind of silly or misinformed actually .

Re: UKCAKC

UKC is the United Kennel Club. A very legit registry that has been around since 1898 and considered the worlds largest performance dog registry.
It is not an International title.

Their site can be hard to navigate and find the info you need but here are some basics for conformation.

Requirements for Champion title. Championship points are awarded in accordance with the Point Schedule found elsewhere in this rulebook. To earn a UKC Champion title, a dog must
1. Earn a minimum of 100 championship points,

2. Earn points under at least three different UKC licensed Judges, and

3. Win three Best Male/Female (or higher) classes with competition at three different shows under three different UKC licensed Judges.

Competition for the Champion title. Competition is defined as more than one male/female entered and shown in any one of the regular classes (Puppy, Junior, Senior, Adult, or Breeder/Handler classes). If a judge withholds a first-place ribbon and awards a dog a second, third or fourth place ribbon in a class of one, this dog will count as having competed and shall count as competition. If a judge withholds all awards from the dog, then it shall not count as competition. Dogs that are excused or disqualified do not count as competition. A dog that is judged in a class, but whose entry is subsequently determined to be invalid, shall count as competition

Requirements for Grand Champion title. To earn a UKC Grand Champion title, a dog must:
1. Win the Champion class at least five times with competition, and

2. Win the Champion class under at least three different UKC licensed Judges

Competition for the Grand Champion title. Competition is defined as at least three dogs correctly entered and shown in the Champion class. When awards are withheld from other dogs entered in the Champion class (i.e., Reserve Champion) and a dog is declared the winner of the Champion class, the other dogs shall not count as competition. A Champion wining Best of Breed may count the number of Champions defeated as well as any Grand Champions defeated by winning Best of Breed to fulfill the requirements of a competition win towards the Grand Champion title

No professional handlers are allowed. Dogs are to be natural (very min grooming even on breeds like poodles and UKC does enforce) NO GROOMING in the ring so leave your brush outside!

http://ukcdogs.com

Re: Re: UKCAKC

Wow, this sounds to me the way a dog SHOULD be judged. Definitely worth checking into.

Be aware, though, that where some try to compare Canadian/Continental KC (no comparison, just the same initials [which is what the Continental KC people would like you to NOT notice])), there is also a Universal KC (another puppy-mill, mixed-breed, questionable registry) which tries to milk legitimacy from having the same initials as the United KC.

UKC is an educational, fun venue that is a GREAT place to start out a young dog or an inexperienced person into showing. Don't get me wrong, there IS fantastic competition in the UKC, but with generally smaller shows and no professional handlers it's a great place to get started into showing your own dog.

Good luck!

When the last poster said no professional handlers, it's because they AREN'T allowed. Unless they own their dog and are showing their own.

It's great for lab novices depending on what part of the country you live in. Here in Colorado there are about 4 weekends a year, and the club holding the show usually has 3-4 shows a weekend, so with a decent dog and competition you can get your UCH.

Personally, while I believe the judges do adhere to standard, the competition isn't as fierce as with AKC. A dog that might never get pointed in AKC could easily title in UKC.

Thank you for all of the information.

Re: Re: Re: UKCAKC

When I read recently where someone had a dog with a gay tail and some other fault (she didn't feel was a big deal), entered the dog and received her AKC CH, what does that say for AKC shows and judging? What about the AKC breed standard, are the judges clueless? Then to say it was one of the more easier faults to "breed out". I don't think so. The gay tail is there in the pedigree, along with other faults. You may have gotten rid of the look in your kennel, but it's not gone and it will definitely "appear" again somewhere if that line is continually bred. The other registries have looked pretty good to me for some time now, because I'm looking for judging where breed standard is paramount. What is the point of conformation competition otherwise?

I know of a UKC grand champion that has a gay tail and several other faults and can not get any AKC points

Professional handlers should not be allowed in UKC or AKC in my opinion. Having professsional handlers turns what should be a nice hobby into just a pastime for the wealthy. Some countries in the world ban paid handlers and for good reason. Flame away.

Maybe they should only allow professional handlers in BOB, that way they are already champions competing against champions.

Joy - I think professional handlers are necessary for many people. Examples - some one who is physically unable to show their own dog may need to hire a professional. Or a person like me, who lives way out in the boonies where shows are are few and far between. And in order to afford this hobby I work two jobs so I send my dog(s) out with a professional.
Just my thoughts....
Valerie - Bibsmom

>>I know of a UKC grand champion that has a gay tail and several other faults and can not get any AKC points>>

Obvious faults should be treated no differently than a dog too short who is wicketed or one that may be limping, etc. and asked to leave the ring.
If judges don't know the correct breed standard for the dogs they are judging then why are they asked to judge? Maybe they should be quizzed about proper conformation before being given the particular breed assignment.

Point well taken Joy however, what does someone i.e. in my case do that has health issues where I can't show my own dog(s) in AKC shows? I've stayed out of the show ring for a few reasons, health being a larger part of it. What do you suggest I do with my girl(s) that are quite worthy of being shown IMO? Do I stay away because I can't personally handle them after the work of breeding litters strictly for this reason or hire a perhaps younger/newer handler that I can afford and finally give it a whirl?

I am not flaming, I'm asking for your advice as you made a statement that does affect my situation. I WISH I could do it myself!

Thanks for you input.

I hole heartly agree that is why I no longer show in the conformation ring because I am plan fed up with the politics and judges putting up dogs because of who is on the other end of the lead. and please don't get me wrong I realize it is not all like that but more of that happens at the shows I have been to in the last few yrs and just plain sick of it. I know there are worthy dogs being handled by professional handlers and if those are your dogs that is fine. but I just don't have fun doing it anymore. at least in UKC they are fun and as far as gay tailed champs well happens in both UKC and AKC so who 's fault is that, judges, politics or all of the above

Professional handlers are making a living because they are GOOD at what they do. Sour grapes say that it's all politics... In reality, a great dog can look awful with a poor handler, and vice versa. I've seen the best dog lose because the owner-handler didn't fix the rear and he was standing cowhocked. And the ones who go too fast on the down and back and the dog goes sideways. Or the ones who are busy fixing the rear when the judge is trying to look at the head. If you have a nice dog and you aren't winning, get someone to give you some coaching in handling.

I think a Lab should be judged on performance AND looks...I don't think a Lab should be "Pretty" and not be able to work. AKC set the breed standard not the founders of the breed there is not one of them that would have said well, he's the best birder I've ever had, but he's not pretty so I'm going to have to let him go. They wanted working dogs, that's the sport. There is no way my grandfather would have purchased a dog that wouldn't hunt. How many "breed standard show dogs" are out there that won't retrieve??!! How many show people keep their dogs in so the sun doesn't bleach their coat?? How many show dogs get to swim, walk in the woods, run up a creek? I don't mean field dogs, I mean carpet walkers. THATS UKC.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

>>I know of a UKC grand champion that has a gay tail and several other faults and can not get any AKC points>>

Obvious faults should be treated no differently than a dog too short who is wicketed or one that may be limping, etc. and asked to leave the ring.
If judges don't know the correct breed standard for the dogs they are judging then why are they asked to judge? Maybe they should be quizzed about proper conformation before being given the particular breed assignment.