Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
anesthetic and hip x-rays

Hi everyone, I am just curiouse, what level of anesthetic does you vet use for hip and elbow x-rays? I booked my apiontment today, and was told they would keep her most of the day because they were knocking her out under general. When I inquired at my vaccine apt, I was told they they were just going to use Ket/val. I don't see the reason to put her completly under when a sedation would work. And I use to work at a vets, and we used ket/val all the time. So what is your expericence? I was under the impression that some dog will drop coat after being under general, is this true? Oh it is just regular x-rays, not pen-hip. Thanks.

Re: anesthetic and hip x-rays

I personally want the best idea of how the joints really are, and to me that means complete sedation. A general anesthetic is not necessary, my vet uses Domitor and the dog goes down quick, then up again as quick with the reversal shot.

we usually use ket/val on sed. and xray.
adam

I just had 3 dogs done with no sedative of any kind by my vet, got 2 excellents and 1 good, all cleared elbows, in and out in 40 mins.

Re: Re: anesthetic and hip x-rays

We use IV Torbutrol and a little Ace IV for most dogs.

Like Tammy, I too have done the x-rays without anesthesia. Very nice experience.

Why expose the dog to so much.

"I personally want the best idea of how the joints really are, and to me that means complete sedation."

I agree with the above quote, have always understood that the most accurate views are with complete sedation???

The most accurate views depend on how the dog behaves. I do most of mine without sedation and have no problem and get good results. If I need anything I give a little torb and ace just to take the edge off. If a dog is still resistant, then I will knock it out with something else. Anesthesia is not to be taken lightly.

Like Tammy and Steve stated previously...our vets have always done them without any kind of sedation. I have always felt we have gotten accurate readings on both hips and elbows. JMO...

Re: Re: Re: anesthetic and hip x-rays

I attended a seminar at the National a few years back and this subject was addressed. The veterinarian giving the seminar said that IF you really want to know the status of your hips, you need to do them under sedation. The relaxation gives a clearer idea of the actual hip staus. The results without sedation cause resistance and hold the femur head deeper into the acetabulum sometimes giving a better rating than they actually deserve.

That being said, I try to do my prelims without any sedation and the finals under val/ket.

Thanks every one, that was what I was thinking. She will need some sedation, I can't even get her to relaxe on the grooming table on her back, but I though Ket/val or something simular should be enough. I will talk to my vet when I drop her off, I only spoke to the secertary last time. I don't want to use general if it isn't nessary.

Re: Re: Re: Re: anesthetic and hip x-rays

I do not understand something....

How does a vet explain that the "best" view is obtained ONLY under complete anesthesia?

You are then not necessarily looking at joint conformation, but laxity. And what if one vet knocks the dog out more than another vet. Kathy above uses the bare minimum to get what she needs, (i love that idea). Earlier in this post, one vet puts them under deeply enough to perform surgery.

You might think it is all the same.... But the joint conformation is best viewed under NORMAL circumstances - right?

Dido IV Torbutrol and Ace IV for most dogs. It depends on the dog and that what I tell the owners. If they just will not let us get the position then its ket/val.

In general I find that the more scared or tense they are I can usually do those WiTHOUT anything because they "freeze" when they are turned on their back. it's the more confident ones that are harder to do awake!