Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
concerned mother

I let the co owner of my bitch whelp our litter and the puppies are 6 weeks old and she won’t let me see them and won’t answer phone calls.
What should I do? I have written to her snail and e and she ignores me.
I called thee akc and they say it’s civil matter.
I was thinking of calling the police.
Any input would help me.

Re: concerned mother

Unfortunately, you're not going to be able to do anything.
Sorry. Co ownerships stink don't they?
Especially when both people aren't of "sound mind"
Take it as a lesson and don't make the mistake again.
Don't sign the litter registrations either.

Sorry to hear about your problem. A couple of years ago, I had a co-ownership that went bad. I also had problems with lack of communication. I signed the AKC papers and that was a big mistake! I checked off limited registration on all the papers and then the real problems began! I did see a lawyer and filed a breach of contract suit.
Perhaps if you refuse to sign the papers, the co-owner will start talking to you.
Email me privately if you think I can be of any assistance.

Usually when a deal like that goes bad...someone didn't do their part somewhere, like food purchases, cleaning, vet bills...and the everyday care. Maybe if you ask if there was something that was felt to be unfair they would talk. They must think they are owed something. I'm not saying you did and I'm not judgeing but something is causeing the mess. I'm a co owner now and I have fed the dog, cleaned up after the dog, missed work to whelp the dog and she had the day off anyway, I have cleaned up after the puppies, socialized them, removed dews, shots, wormed, vet checked and am placing the ads...I have not seen her yet. The puppies are 8 weeks old and she called to see if they are selling yet! THIS IS MY LAST CO-OWNERSHIP. I will abide by the contract because I'm that kind of person and carma will take care of the rest.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I let the co owner of my bitch whelp our litter and the puppies are 6 weeks old and she won’t let me see them and won’t answer phone calls.
What should I do? I have written to her snail and e and she ignores me.
I called thee akc and they say it’s civil matter.
I was thinking of calling the police.
Any input would help me.

Don't involve attorneys in this type of co-ownership, they make enough money already!
I had this situation with one litter. I was not allowed to see the litter until they were 9 weeks old, where I was given 5 minutes to evaluate each puppy. I bided my time, and had the next litter at my house, where I controlled the whole litter. It was a shock to the co-owner, and she realized she had to play by the rules. I was fair, and kind, but controlled the situation and set the ground rules, no threats, no emotional outbursts!
If you would like to email me privately, I can maybe help you more.

Re: Re: concerned mother

I posted it on my web page tonight I think that will get her attention!

Isn't your signature needed to register the litter or sell a puppy with AKC registration if you co own?

You know I keep hearing horror stories of co-ownerships that go bad, but over my 20+ years in dogs and several breeds I have had many co-ownerships and all but one have had a negative outcome.

I done co-owns with my cresteds and co-owns and co-leases with my Labs. As long as everything was spelled out in writing, they've always gone well. I've always been good to my word and fullfilled my end of the contract.

The only time I've had a problem was with a male that I co-owned with a newbie. She would complain to me how this puppy would always pee in his crate. Well when I saw this pup at 6 months it was quite apparent that he had been in crate most of his life and had very little exercise. I took him back so he could get more exercise and improve his gait, but after a week the co-owner called and said she wanted him back. That's when I told her she couldn't have him back if she couldn't ensure he had plenty of exercise. I ended up buying him back and after doing prelims, eventhough he came back OFA prelim good, I ended up placing him in a good pet home. He was a nice boy, but not sure his movement would ever come back to what it should have been.

So while I think co-ownerships can be very beneficial, just remember no matter how good of friends you may be at the time, ALWAYS get everything in writing BEFORE the breeding takes place. This way each person knows what is expected of each other throughout the entire co-ownership. I know I've always done this and there have been NO misunderstandings.

Dianne

In order to register the litter, she needs to either have your signature, or have a written statement from you on file to register on-line. The AKC has been suspending and fining people who violate the online rule. Read page three of the current AKC secretary's page for an example: http://www.akc.org/pdfs/about/secretary_page/0507.pdf

That is excellent leverage.

she registered the litter without my knowledge online.

Replying to:

In order to register the litter, she needs to either have your signature, or have a written statement from you on file to register on-line. The AKC has been suspending and fining people who violate the online rule. Read page three of the current AKC secretary's page for an example: http://www.akc.org/pdfs/about/secretary_page/0507.pdf

That is excellent leverage.

Re: Re: Re: concerned mother

my name keeps going in the subject line sorry. She just one day told me she had registered the litter online and I was like how did you do that without me and she said it only takes one signature online these days.

Besides the small fine and short time suspended (which doesn't seem like much of a deterent), does AKC then revoke those litter registrations?

Concerned mother - you have three choices.

1) Do nothing
2) Write a certified letter telling her that unless she does what you want her to do within a specific time frame, you will file a complaint with the AKC that she registered the litter online without your written permission. Here is the direct quote from the AKC: "The AKC Board of Directors approved a policy change in July, 2003 to require only one owner of a co-owned dam to submit an application online. The owner submitting the application is required to have written permission of all the co-owners of the dam and be able to support the permission to the AKC upon request. The policy of requiring all the co-owners to sign-off on a puppy sale is still in effect."
3) Skip the letter and file the complaint with the AKC.

Personally, I would start with option 2 and then proceed to option 3 if I didn't get timely satisfaction.

I just called the akc and they gave me the telephone number of investigations. They seemed to groan when I told my story but we'll see if they follow through. I'm hoping it will shake the co owner up. Thanks all

I've just registered a co-owned litter "online" myself, but the paper registrations still have the place for both owners to sign. So she may think that she has the paperwork and is fine, but the puppies' individual registrations will be held up.

Re: Re: Re: Does the AKC really follow through?

Does the akc really investigate or do they do it reluctantly? Will they really suspend and fine people?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Does the AKC really follow through?

What is your website?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Does the AKC really follow through?

I took it down after talking to a few other people last night.

don't you love it when someone posts that they are the only one who has never had a problem (when the truth is really that everything they touch is bad) and they tell you they are some hero in the "only" bad co-ownership they had!

"don't you love it when someone posts that they are the only one who has never had a problem (when the truth is really that everything they touch is bad) and they tell you they are some hero in the "only" bad co-ownership they had!"

And the purpose of this post was......? (I believe I see a troll hiding under that post )

I wish this was a lie whoever you are. Lots of people have problems this is just a first for me came her to ask help and this is what I get. No wonder no one puts there name down here.

Replying to:

don't you love it when someone posts that they are the only one who has never had a problem (when the truth is really that everything they touch is bad) and they tell you they are some hero in the "only" bad co-ownership they had!

sumpthing is the matter with you person. You are the troll not me.

Replying to:

"don't you love it when someone posts that they are the only one who has never had a problem (when the truth is really that everything they touch is bad) and they tell you they are some hero in the "only" bad co-ownership they had!"

And the purpose of this post was......? (I believe I see a troll hiding under that post )

I wrote to a few ansewers and no one writes back how wierd that is.

Yes - the AKC does fine and suspend these people.

From the May 2007 Secretary's page: "The AKC’s Management Disciplinary Committee has suspended Mr. Doug Kitzmiller, Swansboro, NC, from AKC registration privileges for six months, effective April 9, 2007, and imposed a $500 fine for his submission of two online litter applications that contained false certifications as to the written authority of the recorded coowner of the dam to register the litters,
and for submission of four dog registration applications containing false certifications as to the signature of the coowner. (Labrador Retriever, Golden Retriever, and Beagle)"

Troll Busters!!!!
You've been outed once again. Time to invent another crisis to try and get attention.

AKC and co-ownerships

I hope the original poster will follow through with the AKC. Online registration adds a new twist but both co-owners are still involved. Good luck.