Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
split cycle pregnancy

What's the probability of a pregnancy with the second half of a split heat cycle? It' been 3 months and 3 weeks when I noticed her, last
Wednesday. Progesterone was done today. I'm waiting results. She looks like she is ready. Am I waisting my time? I have never had a split cycle before.

Re: split cycle pregnancy

I bred a bitch successfully after a split heat. This was an artificially-induced split heat, though. My girl came into heat, we were testing and progesterone wasn't rising. I was visiting my sister who has horses, and she had a pregnant mare. This mare had a history of resorbing, so they were giving her hormones to maintain the pregnancy. Turns out my bitch was snacking on horse poop, ingesting the hormone, which stopped her heat cycle. I called Dr. Hutch in a panic and he laughed, said she's probably come back in heat in a month or so. She did, we bred her, and she had 10 puppies.

Re: split cycle pregnancy

Nope I wouldn't say you were wasting your time at all. As long she ovulates, you should catch her at the right time and she should have a litter for you.

My last litter, my bitch came in heat in October 2005, I started timing her and took her with me to a show where they had an eye clinic to get her eyes done. I guess it was enough to stress her to go out of heat and she promptly did about 10 days into her cycle without ovulating. She came back into heat along with another bitch of mine a few months later. I timed her progesterone levels. Did one natural breeding on the day and 9 weeks later had a nice litter of 6 healthy babies!

Good luck!

Dianne