Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rabbits!! (addendum to thread re mice)

Along the same vein...do you think the fox urine could also deter wabbits? I haven't seen many suburban foxes lately, and the rabbits have returned in large numbers. Ditto for squirrels. Thnx.

Re: Rabbits!! (addendum to thread re mice)

I have resident foxes that trot past my kennel daily...no difference in mouse population!! Actually, I have never had mice in my kennel, unless one of the "outdoor" cats brought one in to play with.

I have them in my house--even with the dogs, two house cats and four outdoor cats! I can't imagine how many we would have without the cats. My MH loves to help the cats "mouse" in the house and things can get pretty crazy.

MK

Re: Re: Rabbits!! (addendum to thread re mice)

Speaking of rabbits, who thinks they know an appropriate punishment for a horrible 8-year-old bitch who thought it was a lovely idea to calmly eat a baby bunny she killed, standing there in front of me (then running in front when I gave chase), fur, bones, little bunny ears and all??

Re: Rabbits!! (addendum to thread re mice)

I wouldn't get TOO mad at her. After all, she IS a hunting dog. And hunting dogs HUNT...for anything that they can chase. Hunting dogs also EAT most anything smaller than themselves that they can catch. Disgusting? Yes. Punishable? Probably not. (Unless you would punish her for NOT retrieving to hand...if she's been so trained!)

Mine have a 4-acre unmowed field in which to entertain themselves. They've brought me birds, snakes, mice, bunnies, and even an occasional field RAT! Sometimes they leave them on the step for me; sometimes they eat them, and sometimes they even play tug-o-war with their "prize".

I've given up being grossed out! It's not worth the dry heaves! :-)

Gotta love 'em!!!

Re: Re: Rabbits!! (addendum to thread re mice)

LOL. I know, I know. I had to run off to work, so I left it up to Providence...i.e., if she died of it, then she deserved it. If she survived, then she was forgive.

(Suppose you could call it Trial By Rabbit Ordeal...)

Anyway...came home at end of day, and guess who was still healthy as a horse and barking for dinner?

eat a rabbit, get tapeworms

Just be prepared to worm her for tapes in about 28 days...