Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NorthEast Area (LYME)

Living in the NorthEast I am wondering how many folks use both yearly Lyme titer and a Frontline type of prouct to protect their dogs.

Is frontline enough if you do alot of feildwork?

Re: NorthEast Area (LYME)

The company data shows a 3% chance of contracting lyme on dogs treated monthly (& correctly) with FL. You have to weigh your risk with the data and make a choice for your comfort level.

And i should clarify that was a challenge of placing a multitude of known lyme positive ticks on the dogs in a lab.

Re: Re: NorthEast Area (LYME)

We currently use Frontline and Lyme Vaccine as in the past 17 years with our Field Work we have had 2 dogs positive with Lyme's. We live in Southern New Jersey.

50% of our dogs in the Boston area, with supplemental treatments of the perimeter of our yard. We routinely give doxy caps 2x a year to all of our dogs now.

Frontline monthly.

Smart move with the doxy treatment twice a year!

Re: Re: Re: NorthEast Area (LYME)

How long do you give the Doxy for ? Shorter than usual or what ?

Treating a dog with suboptimal doses of any antibiotic, particularly for a disease it may not have, is exactly how we end up with drug resistant bacteria.

When that happens, everyone loses.

Bonnie

PS - I do semi-annual Lyme Titers and do monthly frontline, 12 months a year. I have one dog with Lyme Disease - nasty little recurrent disease.

There are already a bunch of dogs and humans with Lyme this year. We had a semiwarm winter and they never died off.

Yes, be careful this can turn into a nasty disease!!! Especially when it goes untreated.

Jen

Re: Re: Re: NorthEast Area (LYME)

I use Frontline every three weeks all year round. I do field training with two of my dogs and I've had good luck with Frontline. It's very important that it be applied directly to the skin. I vaccinate my 3 dogs with the Lyme vaccine yearly and I also do a 4DX yearly. One of my dogs was diagnosed with Lyme 6 years ago and has had 2 flair ups since then. I treat with Doxycycline when she has a problem. The over use of antibiotics is NOT good medicine.

Thank-You all for the advice on this subject.

I use frontline monthly, and add in the frontline spray 2 weeks into the frontline dosing.. in the bad tick months, all 3 of my dogs are vaccinated for Lyme, and I have the only 3 dogs in the neighborhood who are negative for Lyme disease.

barb