Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
First time moms

I have a girl who is going to whelp her first litter next month. She is my "heart dog" and I'm very nervous about it, which is unusual for me. I usually get so excited for puppies and don't get nervous about the delivery until labor starts. But none of the girls I've whelped before were first time moms. Anyway, I was wondering if any of you do anything special for your girls the first time they whelp a litter? Something to calm their nerves when they don't know what's happening to them? The last thing I want is for her to pick up on my nerves and upset her even more. Am I being silly? TIA!

Re: First time moms

Hi Melissa, First of all congrats on your girls first litter. I was very nervous when my girl whelped her first litter as it was my first also. Everything went smoothly and she was a champ.
Our last couple of litters I have invited a good friend a we sit beside her box and talk sweet to her. We feed her extras if she is up to it. Days before I will make sure I have snacks and ice cream. They love to eat ice cream and the calcium is good for them while in whelp. I also make sure our other dogs are away from her and the house is relatively quiet.Of course they seem to start active pushing at 3:00am when you are the most tired

Shelley

Re: Re: First time moms

Hi Melissa,

Yes, congrats on your litter. When my girl is in the whelping box I also talk to her sweet and kind of quiet and stroke her head. I tell her everything is going to be ok. She never leaves my side for a few days before she's due.
The funny thing is she finally got the hang of things when she had her third and last litter.
I did give her some yogurt after she had her puppies, because she seemed alittle anxious. Then she settled right down and acted normal after that.
Also bought some ice cream for her.

Keep us posted on how she is doing and when she has her puppies.
We all like to share in everyones excitement. This forum is a good place to come to for help and suggestions. I remembered the yogurt from here.

Good Luck,
Donna