Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ah, so the Amish breeders aren't PM's - HA!

Anyone live in Virginia??

http://network.bestfriends.org/truth/news/14974.html

Re: Ah, so the Amish breeders aren't PM's - HA!

Can't we move on to something else? It has already been stated people are sick of this kind of stuff.

Re: Re: Ah, so the Amish breeders aren't PM's - HA!

Ok, well then we'll just ignore it and let them breed all the crummy dogs they want to....

I am sick of this stuff, but these problems will not go away.

I think it is important to be informed and to take action whenever possible. I think we need to let various offical know that puppy mills are not okay.

The MSN laws and the anti-breeding movement also is very upsetting. I think the voice of responsible breeders needs to be heard. As a group, I think we can encourage sensible laws that will reduce the number of unwanted cats and dogs as well as poorly bred dogs from puppy mills and backyard breeders.

Hattie, where have you been all my life?!?!
I was just saying this about breeders being sensible and helping to come up with solutions. But, I was basically told that I'm "AR-lite" for thinking this and that there can be no compromise, everyone gets to breed whatever they want as much as they want forever and ever amen -- "not my problem." If I advocate adoption of shelter pets or rescue dogs, I'm AR I guess.
Honestly, I was a part of a group of breeders & fanciers who disputed some proposed legislation and shut it down for being too hard on US. But, there were some of us who really wanted there to be another solution, something to help because some of us are also involved in rescue, and we understand the gravity of the problem. Unfortunately, the powers that be listened to our complaints, but they didn't want to hear our call for common sense legislation.

Oh, and as far as the Amish go, there are Amish puppy mills, but not all Amish are puppy millers. Let's just watch the generalizations and let common sense rule the day....
Back to your regularly scheduled programming!

Re: Re: Ah, so the Amish breeders aren't PM's - HA!

Unfortunately, when breeders back legislation it tends to backfire on them. It is hard to back any type of breeding legislation that will not have an adverse effect on responsible breeders as well as puppy millers. I think the real answer is to keep educating the public about purchasing from good breeders and how to recognize one. At least 90% of the puppy buyers that I get are well informed and ask all of the right questions. So, the message is getting out there.