Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
When to switch to twice a day

When is the best time to switch to feeding twice a day?

I have a twelve week old and I'm feeding puppy food three time a day. I'm going to switch to adult at six months.

Re: When to switch to twice a day

not sure what these other guys will say but i would plan on feeding you dog puppy food till at least 1yr, unless a prob happens or vet says otherwise. also you feed them a few times a day for at least a few months, they are growing and need all the help they can get. why deny them a good solid foundation to grow and become healthy and happy for the rest of their lives? i highly rec. that you call your dogs vet and talk this out. doing what you are questioning could cause ireversible damage to your pet.
also you may consider bringing you pup to puppy training they will help you out with all these ?, and problems you will run into.
adam

Generally, if your puppy is in good health, there's no reason that you can't switch to twice-a-day feedings at around 12 weeks or so. Just be sure to adjust the amount you feed in the two feedings to, at least, equal what you were feeding at 3 times per day.

I usually recommend to my puppy buyers that they purchase one 40-pound bag of puppy kibble (I send home a starter batch of Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy); when that's used up (usually by around 6 months of age), they can switch to adult food. I actually mix in some adult food (Eukanuba Sporting Dog kibble) for my two-to-three-month-olds to munch on while they're outside each day. No stool problems evidenced and they're growing nicely.

Re: Re: When to switch to twice a day

You can get a 40 pound bag of food to last 4 months? I must be overfeeding!

I switch to adult food when I run out of puppy LOL! Usually about 4 months. And I switch to twice a day as soon as it's reasonable for the puppy to eat the whole day's ration in two meals. If the pup can gobble it down and still look for more and not look bloated, then they can eat it. I would guess that it would be about 12 weeks or so also.

I avoid using magic numbers like a certain number of weeks or months - I prefer to take each pup as an individual and work from there.

You'll find that many people are going to adult alot earlier nowadays. We switched over at 4 months with our last one.

Usually around 5 months or so they start losing interest in lunch, of course they'll eat if you put it out, but it's not like they are WAITING for it anymore.

Re: Re: Re: When to switch to twice a day

No puppy food for my pups ever, they start on the adult from the day I start feeding them kibble. As to how long to keep them on the 3 feedings a day I think it is a individual thing. I have 3 pups here that I kept from my last litter and usually by 4 months my pups are on 2 meals a day but with these guys they require more food per day so they aren't underweight and I don't like to feed a whole lot per meal so they are still on the 3 meals a day and they'll be 5 months at the end of this month.
Aloha,
Jackie

Same here... no puppy food for my litters either. I have the dam on puppy food for the last half of her pregnancy and through lactation but the puppies start on adult food right from their first meal. This seems to help the pups grow at a slower rate and works very well for me and my litters.

Thank you all for your advice.

I have to say the first poster had me scratching my head. No where did I say my pup was not in good health. Also most obedience trainers will not enroll puppies until they have all there shots at 16 weeks.

It had been awhile since I have had a puppy and couldn't remember when we switched from three times a day to two. I was just wondering what you all thought was best.

Thank you.

Thank you all for your advice.

I have to say the first poster had me scratching my head. No where did I say my pup was not in good health. Also most obedience trainers will not enroll puppies until they have all there shots at 16 weeks.

It had been awhile since I have had a puppy and couldn't remember when we switched from three times a day to two. I was just wondering what you all thought was best.

Thank you.

oh i didn't mean that you didn't want you pup to be in good health. i guess it came out wrong, i wasn't trying to be an ars. now that i look back at what i posted it can def look that way. i apologize for that, it happens with me more then i would like, something i clearly need to work on. i also see the information that i learned when i got my dog a while back has changed also with how long to keep dogs on certain meal plans and dog foods.
adam

Thanks for clearing that up. That's the problem with the written word, you can't tell sometimes how it was intended. Most of the time I come across like a moron.

Cheers