Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Temperament Is it genetic or generational

I have been wondering if temperament and other dog behaviors are generational or genetic.
We all the know the obvious that would fall under genetic but what do others think are generational?

Re: Temperament Is it genetic or generational

What a great topic! Is there anything in particular of interest???

I think you mean environmental (not generational).

Temperament issues are both. Breeds have been developed solely around temperaments - from calm and friendly to aggressive and fierce. Other traits such as herding, retrieving, pointing, etc are also genetic. But the genetic basic temperament can be developed or suppressed by a wide range of environmental factors - from training to neglect to abuse to love.

So you breed towards desireable traits for your breeds, and away from negative traits, and give them the best possible training and environment, and hope for the best!

Re: Re: Temperament Is it genetic or generational

I knew you would like this topic Nancy :)

I meant generational but it's somewhat similar to environmental.

generational : a group of individuals born and living contemporaneously c : a group of individuals having contemporaneously a status (as that of students in a school) which each one holds only for a limited period.

Puppies and other pack animals live in this type of caste system.

Learned because they live with their relatives - outside influences - toxins - affection or lack of it - diet?

Are there unseen changes do to the or subtle things that happen or occur in this order?

Do we think that some of the other health problems could also be generational/environmental ?

BTW I'm not Rosie but afraid to use my name - that is definitely environmental! LOL

Re: Re: Re: Temperament Is it genetic or generational

I personally think there is some genetic pre-disposition including shyness or agressiveness and more environmental/generational and learned. I've noticed the pups that we keep for longer periods of time (16 weeks +) tend to go to their new homes much more laid back and easy going because we and our pack tend to be more non-tolerant of "wild" behavior and are expected to be low key. I always find it a bit ironic that people are expecting to pay lower prices for older pups when so much time in personality development has been put into them.

I totally agree with the previous psoters - I think you meant genetic or environmental...I think it is genetic but environmental issues such as health/training/abuse/feeding etc can have an impact. Some dogs (read labs) will take tremendous adverse situations and still be well balanced. Others will not. Labs should be bred for a well balanced and loving/giving temperments (see the standard), but we all know that there are labs out there that are less than what they should be, unfortunately, for whatever reason.
A

I think both are responsible for the out come of a pups temperament. Someone can take a nice pup and turn it into a monster or vise versa. And then again there are gentic hiccups that occur. Lets face it , the gentics that we are all working with are already pretty polluted.

I have always been amazed at the similarities between related dogs I have had over the years. Think mother/daughter/granddaughter, father/son/grandson, etc..
Most breeders tend to have more than one bloodline in their kennels, as I do. As they go through the generations, they have more and more or their select bloodlines for comparison. It's amazing how they distinct they can be.
I just can't tell you how many times I have looked at the offspring one or 2 generations down the line and consistently been floored by the little things they tend to have in common with their predecessors! I'm talking mostly about mannerisms, likes/dislikes, even voices (the sound of their barks).

I guess this is something you have to see to understand, and those who stick with their breed/bloodlines long enough will eventually be able to see it.

To me, learning this was by far one of the most important lessons to date.

This means that what I am keeping in my kennel now, will live on through the next generations.

I think this is one very good reason to look at the whole picture. It just goes to show the impact one little breeding can have on so many future lives.

JMO I agree. Right down to the bark they make while waiting for you to throw the ball.

I've often wondered about the human emotional impact on puppies. A puppy that I got while I was under some emotional duress (death of my father) is more clingy while the relatives are very calm and stable. I spent a lot of time with her but I sometimes wonder if she picked up on my emotions.

I think the majority is genetic but all animals will react differently in different situations e.g. pack mentality. If a pup is never exposed to a pack except their human pack they might not show some of the aggression seen in a multi-dog situation.

Besides being genetic, generational and enviromental it can be situational also IMHO.

I have seen even funny littler mannerisms like a silly bark, skinning tennis balls and a goofy head shake when happy be passed down in my lines.

Who would ever think that those types of characteristics are genetic?

The one poster said that her puppy was clingy after going through the stress of a death. I believe there is such a strong bond between humans and dogs that they feel the stress we give off and no different than children react different to the situation.

It shapes their personality, emotional make-up and self-esteem.

Aggression????

I hope you're not talking Labradors here??

I find my family of Labradors so much alike also. Appearance, all habits, digging a little hole to lay in, cleaning each other, the same trick they do for a cookie, etc. lots of things. Temperment is a number one thing with me. I have notice these same puppys put in a home that does not give them the attention or handed over to kids (sometimes they act bad just like the kids) to take care of will be a different dog. I can not believe it sometimes. Seem at about 3 years they do go back and pick up the wonderful temperments. Just have no direction in those young years. Sad. You try to pick the right homes.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Temperament Is it genetic or generational

>>I have been wondering if temperament and other dog behaviors are generational or genetic.
We all the know the obvious that would fall under genetic but what do others think are generational?>>

I believe temperment is genetic, not sure what you mean by other dog behaviors.

Dash the Corgi does a little hand clapping routine on his back that his great-great-great-grandsire also did. Dash's daughter is doing the same thing, much to the delight of our breeder. There could be a genetic component to the behavior as Dash was born well after Clive passed away, and Dash has not spent much time with his daughter Kafrin, so I doubt she learned it from watching him.

Cheers, K

Rosie - I now understand what you mean about generational now. That would be a subset of environmental influences. Environment is a vast collection of influences. Humans, nutrition, weather, other dogs, other animals, living space, toxins, illness, timing of these things in a dog's lifetime, and virtually anything else you could think of. Generational influences would not only include interaction with contemporaries, but also what the dog's home environment is like which evolves over a breeder's lifetime. Feeding practices, housing, training, etc. all change drastically from the time we get our first dog to the present day.

In the long run, I think environment plays the most important role, genetics only provides the parameters.

Very interesting topic!