Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Apartment Dwellers

I just had a guy who was referred by a one our puppy clients. He is a disabled Vet. But not physically.
He lives in apt. But assured me he will walk the dog as much as needed. It would be a puppy. He is home most of the time. I have sold puppies to people with small yards like townhouses. But never a apt person. What is everyones take on this. He had a blk lab which he got when he got back from desert storm. when he has to retire. But it died a couple yrs ago.
TIA

Re: Apartment Dwellers

Diane - When I first got into our breed (about 30 years ago), I too was an apartment dweller and right out of college. After a lot of searching, interviewing, etc., I found a breeder who was willing to make that leap of faith and placed a puppy with me. I hope I have paid her back for her kindest and am still striving to make her proud (I must be okay because almost 4 years ago after my own breeding program just wasn't going in the right direction and I decided to start over and "go back to my roots", I got another puppy from her, 20+ years later - LOL!) I think you have to thoroughly interview the person, go and visit his apartment and DEFINITELY make sure that the landlord has a pet policy (I recommend that you get the landlord consent in writing). I don't think a puppy buyer should arbitrarily be disqualified just because s/he lives in an apartment - every situation is different. The fact that he is home quite often to me would be a plus over a home dweller who is never home and the puppy is alone. JMO.

I agree. I lived in NYC for over a decade and I hafta say, the city dogs were far and away better treated than their suburban/rural counterparts. True, they don't have large fenced yards to be let into.

Instead, they have parks - lots of 'em. And doggy friends. And 'parents' who are deeply committed to socialization, walks, medical care, etc.

Personally, I'd much sooner sell a puppy to an apt. dweller (provided all other things are equal and landlord agrees in writing)than to a busy suburban family which plans to simply let the dog out into the yard occasionally.

Re: Re: Apartment Dwellers

I recently let a puppy go to a young couple in an apartment - it has worked out wonderful because they both work from home.

These days more and more people are virtual which makes it much better.

They were home with the puppy all day in the early stages and now there is always someone home.

In the evening they go to the park or take long walks.

I did a home/apt. inspection first and made sure they were good renters. Called all their references, their Vet and even talked to the neighbors. I'm glad I took the risk and did the extra foot-work.

Re: Re: Re: Apartment Dwellers

I am sorry but I have to disagree with this one.

First of all most large dogs need room to run
and excercise, investigate, and be able to dig,
chew, lay in the sun, splash in a kiddie pool
and just be dogs when they are growing up!

Are they planning on keeping the puppy in a crate
when they go to the store? What if he barks and
barks and disturbs the neighbors?

I would consider letting them have an old retired dog
to them but certainly not a puppy.

JMO

Does he own the apartment? If not, I would ask to speak with the landlord, and see the lease where it says he can keep a dog. I have no problem with an apartment, but I will only sell to people that own their home or apartment. Landlords can sell the building, and the new one can kick the dogs out.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Apartment Dwellers

Speaking of adopting puppies to apt or condo dwellers, I let a puppy go to an condo dweller for the first time last year. He had his ducks all lined up and convinced me he was organized and ready for life with his new puppy. A year has passed by and I get this call from him, saying he can no longer keep his dog because he can no longer take him to his dog daycare. He had let his young dog run the show and the dog daycare kept on putting this young dog in time outs due to his rambunctious nature with the adult dogs.

Without a place for this young boy to stay during the day, his owner is forced to give him back to me tommorow. I get the pleasure of undoing all the damage from this dog's owner not knowing how to be the alpha. He simply was not prepared to deal with a young puppy living in a condo once he got bigger.

I placed a 2 yr old girl with a couple who live in a townhome last year which is working out great. This adult girl loves being in the house and she is trusworthy now that she is older. They come home on their lunch break and give her exercise and potty breaks.

I do agree that a large breed dog can have a nice life living in an apt or condo but it does become tricky when it is a puppy. They do tend to whine when the owner leaves and that disturbs the neighbors in the apts. I've also talked to other people who have raised Labradors as puppies in condos and they said they would never do it again. These are people who ended up moving into a home just to keep their dog but it is so much work for apt and condo dwellers to take a puppy outside every hour to go potty and most apts and condos you have to use the elevator or flight of stairs.

I would say it also depends on the puppy. Some Lab pups are more laid back and that may work out fine in an apt but if the pup is more wired and needs more time and space to burn it all off, condos really don't make sense for a full time working person who has to be away from the apt.

The apartment lease allows a puppy/dog with a deposit and they are fortunate enough to be able to take the dog in to the office when they go. The puppy is never unattended.

There is a park directly across the street where they play and they go to obedience/socialization classes.

On the rare occasions when these folks had to be away they leave the puppy at a puppy/dog day care which I also visited and it's nicer than most preschools that human kids go to.

I have no worries about this placement at all. I sleep well at night :*)

Thanks for the ideas our pups are quite laid back. I did sell a pup to a college girl 18 mos ago . who had 4 room mates. And that was the best thing i did for that girl. The dog is very well cared for.I always have that i will take the puppy back in my contract. They do fill out a application have to be approved. With name and number for the landlord. Apparently the apt has other dogs. And I will have someone do a home check.
TIA

I think there are homeowners that can be bad owners too - it's the people and the commitment - not where they live. JMO

I wish you the best of luck Diane!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Thanks for the ideas our pups are quite laid back. I did sell a pup to a college girl 18 mos ago . who had 4 room mates. And that was the best thing i did for that girl. The dog is very well cared for.I always have that i will take the puppy back in my contract. They do fill out a application have to be approved. With name and number for the landlord. Apparently the apt has other dogs. And I will have someone do a home check.
TIA

I guess the first thing that came to mind for me was the fact that being in an apartment (if it is a complex and not something like a duplex with a yard) would mean walking the pup in public. My concern would be whether or not this was an area with much incidence of parvo. I wouldn't have a lot of concerns about actually living in an apartment with a dog that size. There are plenty of ways to get them exercise with walks and trips to the park. I would just be concerned about early exposure to public places.

When I got my first lab, I was single and living in an apartment. Now I'm engaged and living in a house with a lot of property and I can tell you from experience that my dog got a lot more exercise when I lived in an apartment than he does now. My situation might be a little different because I do still play fetch with him, walk him, etc., but my time is not solely devoted to him anymore because I have other dogs that need the same things. I think some people that live in homes with fenced yards get complacent and think that when their dog needs exercise, they can just turn it loose in the backyard. People living in apartments/townhomes have to make the extra effort, which not only allows the dog sufficient exercise, but allows the people to bond with the dog by spending time with it. I'm certainly very glad that the breeder I got my first dog from had no reservations about selling to someone in an apartment. And I wouldn't turn away a potential puppy buyer for that reason alone. Just my two cents.

I have to say it is the INDIVIDUAL and not the SITUATION that it what is important. I have lived in apartments with great danes... labs...goldens...at different times in my life. I have lived on farms and ranches at other times. It is what the individual does with the dog that is improtant. They have to be dedicated to the health and wellbeing of the dog and that means training, exercising, feeding and vet care.

I have seen neglected dogs on estates and in apartments. In fact, one of the worst cases was in Beverly Hills with an owner who had all the money in the world. This dog was brought in covered and I mean covered with ticks every other month, no socialization, and there was not much anyone could do (back in the day) due to the owners status...sad story.
JMO
A

I have had this apt checked out by a friend. Not the apt it's self but the complex. The area is New, Many new sub divisions. The complex is hugh. condos.With a fairly good size park and Pond across the road. Its with in a short ride to a reservior with much open space.The Town is a college town. But the complex is on the east side of the town.They said the area is growing fast but well preserved. very nice.