Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Showing a girl in season

Apart from the obvious things such as informing the judge that my girl is in season and keeping at bay until her class, what advice do you have for a newbie showing a bitch in season for the first time?

Re: Showing a girl in season

My advise is don't do it. You'll have plenty of time to show when she's not in season.

Re: Re: Showing a girl in season

That is the craziest advice I have ever heard! Why not show her??

Really? Any good reasons as to NOT?

She is in full beautiful coat and very full of herself. I have seen several bitches in season being shown. I know not to be rude, and I know we can't show in obedience, seriously, WHY NOT?

Well for one thing, it can distract the other dogs, whose handlers have likely worked as hard as you and traveled as far as you to get there. I know it's a crying shame when it happens that way (and believe me, those naughty girls do it on PURPOSE!), but it's really not fair to the other entries.

JMHO, please don't bite my head off and throw it to the labs...

I look forward to showing my girls in season. They look their best! I am polite about keeping her out of everyone's way and I warn th judges before they examine her rear quarters and I carry a wipe rag to keep her neat as possible...but there are already hundreds of bitches in heat at the shows of other breeds...they are in the rings ahead of our breed, they are in the next ring over, they are in the parking lots....a show dog should be trained to be accustomed to bitches in heat being around...my guess is that those who say don't do it are just unable to control their own dogs. Show & have fun...just be considerate.

I have no problems with bitches in heat being shown. I expect that will happen, and am working with the knucklehead. As the owner and sometimes handler of a young, impressionable stud, all I ask is that you are considerate of the stud dogs.

Not hanging out ringside while the dogs are in the ring, being aware of your surroundings, and cleaning up after your dog are all good ideas.

I was ringside with Dash, waiting for his class, when he discovered a blood spot on the concrete (bad mom for not noticing it first). His little brain was shot for the rest of the wait, but he did fine in the ring. I, on the other hand, am just a handling klutz.

Cheers, K

Re: Re: Re: Showing a girl in season

First of all, the time when a bitch can be shown is limited by so many things. Seasonal blowing of the coat, hormonal blowing of the coat, recovering from maternity leave, etc. The time when they look their best is when they should be in the ring. They look their best when they are in season. Yes, the boys get distracted, but so what? They learn to deal with it. If people were to pull their bitches from the conformation ring just because they are in season, they may never be able to show them. It is challenging enough as it is to finish a bitch, especially a lab bitch. Why take away their time to shine? makes no sense to me.

More info~
Just curious to know why lab bitches in season are more of a challange in the ring than other breeds?

They're not. It's their handlers that are

Sorry train your males to sniff the other way.
No different then riding stallions with mares. All in the training.

I agree with Diane. I have a stud dog that is absolutely no problem, at the shows. I have taken him to shows with a female in full heat. If you let them get away with it, they're going to. JMO

OK, so I am not going to be shunned from the show because my girl is in heat?

I too have a stud dog and he behaves himself quite well at the shows, never a bother and always more interested in what I have to offer.

I say that if the boy is a handful when there are girls around he hasn't been taught how to act.

Of course I won't go out of my way to make her a nuissance. I will let you know how she does.

show your bitch while she is looking her best,
when walking thru the crowd announce you have a bitch in season!!!!

I didn't say lab bitches are more of a challenge in the ring than other breeds. I said it "is challenging enough as it is to finish a bitch, especially a lab bitch". Just for the reasons I posted, bitches are harder to finish than dogs. And lab bitches in particular. Why? Just look at the AKC point schedule in all divisions for labs, and then for other breeds, and that will answer that.

I would say again. Be very polite and keep her away from the ring while the boys are showing. You can really mess a young one up. Really not fair to them. I really hate to see a girl in heat walk through a crowd heading to her ring. All the over breeds are still showing. Even around the motels. I don't take mind, don't want to fool with it all. A good bitch can finish quick. Ask some breeders. Again, just be fair.

Re: Re: Re: Showing a girl in season

Show your girl. When they are in season they are usually looking their abosolute best. Don't listen to any breeder that tells you to stay home while your girl is in season, if your girl is nice she is now probably the competition.

Don't bring her ringside until right before her class.

Inform others around you and those standing directly in and front and back of you in the ring that your girl is in season. They probably will have already guessed by the way their girls are reacting. Girls can be harder to show when they are in season as their hormones now make them act silly, and they may want to play with the other girls around them or they may be a bit snotty if they don't want another dog sniffing at their butt If your girl is the snotty king then for sure don't let others get too close.

Be polite and tell the judge your girl is in season as well before he does her individual exam.

If you make it into the breed class, try and be courteous and ask the steward to ask the judge if you can stand in the back of the line because your girl is in season. If the judge says no, and there is a male standing in front of you, again be courteous and leave A LOT of space in between.

Go the the shows nad have fun.

Ok I get the drift and thanke to the original poster because I too am torn about this topic...I am expecting my puppy bitch to come into heat right when she goes to her first show - the luck of the draw - you know - LOL. So I am in the ring with her and she is probably dripping as we gait around...I wipe her butt as I stack her but what to do about the trail????Not much I expect...I would feel so bad about the trail...this is the worst case scenario about showing a girl in heat to me.
TIA
A

I'm not sure I'd show a bitch for the first time when she's in heat - they can get a little "weird" when they are in heat. If she's not at all used to dog shows, you might consider leaving her at home until she's out of heat. I usually show bitches whether they are in heat or not, but I'd caution you showing a puppy bitch first time out when she's in heat.

Thanks Patty and everyone!

It was not my girl's first show, she's 3 with both majors and 12 points total. It was just my first time with her in season. She did well and we stood away in a corner and waited until out turn.

Reserve today, going back for more tomorrow!

Congratulations! I'm sure she'll finish quickly! My response was to Alexandria who had a younger bitch.

Of course show her! Keep her at a distance from the males is the best advice for all concerned. You have a great chance of finishing her, why not do it? You won't be the only one with a bitch in season. You're asking for advice for all concerned, much more than others do. You have class and hope it benefits you in the ring as well. GL!

Like the posters b4, just be aware of your surroundings. Dont sit ringside while the boys are in, announce that your girl is in season, and the boys will leave the area.

Show her!!!!!!

And for the uncontrolable boy handlers:

VICKS VICKS VICKS!!

Jen

Show her