Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Taking Paypal For Puppies?

Taking Paypal For Puppies?

What is the current consensus amongst breeders about taking Paypal for puppies?
More and more people want to use Paypal when paying for their puppy.

I used to think it was sort of cheesy for lack of a better word but it seems to be growing as a means to pay for things.

Are any of you taking payment via Paypal - what are your thoughts?

We just installed our puppy cam and it's so cool. They sure have come a long way since those old choppy hardly move cameras.

I'm on puppy watch tonight and I set up a web cam in the whelping pen too.

All this technology is really fun.

Stop buy and have a look at the babies - they should be here by tomorrow.

Re: Taking Paypal For Puppies?

Well, if you do, you'd have to charge extra to pay for the rather hefty "fee" PayPal charges. But I guess my opinion is that if the buyer can't afford to pay cash or check for the puppy, then they probably can't afford to care for the puppy adequately. It's not like they don't usually have 4-6 months to save the money from the time I know I'm doing a breeding and start taking names on my list, until they go home.

I love using paypal, its so handy for me especially if I'm buying something from the USA(I'm Canadian). Its an instant way to pay for something and the person that I am buying from doesn't have to wait for a check to come in the mail and then they don't have to wait for it to clear either. I have not bought a puppy using paypal yet but it sure would be handy. We use our checking account for paypal, I love the fact that it does an immediate currency convertion too. Just my 2 cents...

Diane

Re: Re: Taking Paypal For Puppies?

That would be a hefty fee - I forgot about that aspect - thanks for reminding me.

But I know lots of wealthy people who use Paypal - they keep cash in their account for all purchases online.

Paypal isn't a credit card.

I bought my car with Paypal

I don't agree with that at all Patty. Do you have a Paypal account? You have to have cash in your account to send money or it has to be linked to your bank account.

Here is a link to Paypal https://www.paypal.com/ you might want to consider it next litter.

I'll just bet that some of those "cash" buyers take cash advances from a credit card to pay the breeder.

I don't think it's about how you get the money it's about the home and people.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Well, if you do, you'd have to charge extra to pay for the rather hefty "fee" PayPal charges. But I guess my opinion is that if the buyer can't afford to pay cash or check for the puppy, then they probably can't afford to care for the puppy adequately. It's not like they don't usually have 4-6 months to save the money from the time I know I'm doing a breeding and start taking names on my list, until they go home.

Yes, I have a PayPal account - it's linked both to my bank account and to a credit card - I can pay from either. I still don't take PayPal - I think it's tacky and looks too commercial for my taste.

You can do whatever you wish, but I just don't do it.

I Love paypal. I wouldn't feel as safe taking a personal check.

About the recent PAY PAL subject where there was identity theft brought up. I have heard good and bad about PAY PAL. I have it, have used it but not for pricey purchases yet.

What's your sight to see the webby cam Bee?

For those breeders who accept deposits in the order received, I'm sure there are a lot of puppy buyers who would appreciate a way to get cash to the breeder instantly.

*that said* there is lots of fraud that can occur with Paypal. For example, if they pay Paypal with an Amex for their puppy, and puppy develops something that might be congenital down the road, they can still do a chargeback and Paypal will, in some cases, yank the money back OUT of your checking account. It's worth looking into, but you should never keep standing cash in your Paypal account that you can't afford to lose. The Paypal boards on E-bay are full of information on how best to cover your rear end.

I much prefer email money transfers. They are done instantly through online banking and no personal information is ever shared between the sender and receiver. Much safer than paypal in my opinion and even safer than sending a personal cheque in the mail. What I most appreciate is that both parties have an excellent record of the transaction.

What kind of email transfers are they Christy? Thanks!

Replying to:

I much prefer email money transfers. They are done instantly through online banking and no personal information is ever shared between the sender and receiver. Much safer than paypal in my opinion and even safer than sending a personal cheque in the mail. What I most appreciate is that both parties have an excellent record of the transaction.

My puppy cam site is:
http://www.suncountrylabs.com/home/nursery.html

I'll probably get in trouble - someone will say I'm advertising but I'm not all puppies are spoken for.

If you don't see a picture - it's in privacy mode - last night I forgot and walked in the room almost nothing! LOL

As for Paypal I forgot about the potential "charge back" problem. That could be an issue.

Identity theft: It happened to me but not using Paypal - I think we're all exposed to that to some degree when moving monies around on the Internet. It can happen off the Internet too!

I think if a puppy buyer asks to use Paypal I would certainly hope that by the time the puppy goes home I would feel confidant enough to say sure.

I would NEVER advertise any sort of logo for Paypal on my site or a "we take credit cards" that to me is 'icky' and commercial.

Have fun kiddies ~ it's puppy day today!

Replying to:

About the recent PAY PAL subject where there was identity theft brought up. I have heard good and bad about PAY PAL. I have it, have used it but not for pricey purchases yet.

What's your sight to see the webby cam Bee?

Re: Re: Re: Taking Paypal For Puppies?

Just for the record - I DON'T ship pet puppies - ever!
I don't want any confusion.

They are just a money transfer that is done through online banking. It is becoming quite popular here in Canada but I don't know if American banks are doing it or not. Very easy, very fast, very convenient, and very safe. It is an instant transaction and is done exactly like online banking bill payments.

I've been taking PayPal for years. People have only used it for deposits though. It's so convenient.

Nancy, a GREAT idea to use PP for deposits. I wouldnt accept anything like that for any more than a deposit. I don't ship any pups though (as mentioned by an earlier poster, type shipped or not)be it pet or any other. If someone wants a particular pup bad enough they'll come for it and take it home. It's my way of sending my pups home, with the owner only. I enjoy seeing each individual leave with the puppy, not having a last memory of putting him or her on an airplane. We each have our own set of guidelines we follow.