Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grooming question

What's the best grooming tool for removing loose hair? Shedding blade, comb, rake etc. Has anyone ever used a short rake?

Re: Grooming question

I used to use all of 'em - shedding blade, rake, you name it, I tried it. I found that while they got the hair out, they were also hard on the dogs' skin. I discussed this problem with my vet, and she recommended the Zoom Groom. I've been using it ever since! It's soft rubber, so it's easy on my hands and on the dogs' skin, plus it takes out a TON of dead undercoat, almost effortlessly. I LOVE it!!

I never used a rubber brush before. Do you use it in both directions?

Thanks for your input.

ZOOM GROOM!!

Yes you can use a Zoom Groom in every direction. Your dog will love you for it. It is also great during Bath time you can use it to suds up your dog while removing lots of hair.

I never use metal comb rakes or brushes on Labradors it is very harssh on their skin and sometimes breaks their coat.

The zoom groom can take off a lot of topcoat while removing the undercoat. Just be aware of what you are seeing come off.

We comb regularly with a buttercomb. And a nice warm bath is good for loosening the coat when it is ready to blow in mass quantities.

Cheers, K

What is a buttercomb?
Thank you.

Re: Re: Grooming question

Zoom Groom fan here also, get the pink one.

I never used a rubber brush but I have tried to remove a rubberband from my own hair and it hurts. Wouldn't the rubber brush also pull hair that isn't loose? Sounds painful.

Re: Re: Grooming question

Painful? Are you kidding? The minute the Zoom Groom comes out around here, all the kids line up to get massaged! My oldest boy get so comfy that he falls asleep while being groomed, and before I know it, he is snoring! Everyone here loves the Zoom Groom!

Re: Re: Re: Grooming question

Glad we are talking about Zoom Grooms because someone here mentioned a while back about how to re-charge them.
Ours doesn't attract the hair anymore?? Colleen

Re: Re: Re: Re: Grooming question

I have never run into that problem, but I use mine both in the bath and dry. Maybe wetting it will help?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Grooming question

I saw a "demo" at a dog show once and that's what they did, ran it under hot water to bring back the rubbery feel of it. Hope it helps.

I use a cat comb - been using the same one for 28 years!

Dont