Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hyper keratosis

Has anyone come across this problem. Feel free to email me privately to.

I just spoke to one of my puppy clients. Who has a dog from us who is 18 mos. The only puppy from the dam and sire that came from canada.The rest of the puppies have no signs of this problem or any problem.

The vet/head of dermatology
at the teaching hospital, said it's a recessive gene that just pops up ever so many generations. But this problem is quite popular with east coast labs and labs from canada.
We had the pup till 4 mos. and she didn't have nose or coat problems then if she did she wouldn't have gone to a new home.

This lab also who has a beautiful thick coat like her mom. Also has shedding problems masses of coat come out of her every day. even in the coldest of winter.
They have her on avoderm for that problem.

Anyone have this problem or have come across it.In there lifetime of breeding. especially you ole timers on or off the east coast an canada.
I offered to take the dog back when it was 8 mos when i found out about the problem. But they were committed to it. And the big bucks they are shelling out. TIA

This lady is not the happest camper about this. Basically told me i should nip it in the bud. And spay my bitch not to produce it anymore. We don't have the male anymore.

Re: Hyper keratosis

This same dog last year. The vet thought the dog had nasel mites. which they tested and it did not.
I have noticed once in a while people will post for possible Nasel Mites. Your problem could be this.The dog had symptons similar to Mites.But she has a severe crusty nose.loss of pigment.

Re: Re: Hyper keratosis

I think another vet opinion is in order. I could be an allergy to food, grass, environment, or maybe a hormone problem. It doesn't make sense that only 1 pup had it. Have they done a thyroid check? One flea bite could also start a problem. I am on my 7th generation and have NEVER had a skin problem in any of my offspring.

I would try a diet of hamburg and rice and vegetables or chicken and rice and vegetables for a couple of months and see what happens.

"Hereditary Nasal Parakeratosis of Labrador Retrievers." This syndrome is inherited and looks pretty much the same as idiopathic nasodigital hyperkeratosis, except for the earlier age of onset (usually prior to 2 years old) and the breed specificity. Labs with this condition should not be bred, as it may be passed on to their offspring. The condition is not life-threatening but also not curable, requiring ongoing therapy to keep symptoms to a minimum.

An Anti-Fungal application is NOT a treatment of choice. Topical applications of propylene glycol in water or white petrolatum are often effective for treatment of the dermatosis. However, continued applications are required to maintain a beneficial response.

If this is the problem, then I don't think it can be controlled by diet. But it certainly does not hurt to try.

The summary of the study done at the University of Montreal is on my lap top, I'll post it later today. The study was stopped several years ago due to lack of funding.
The poster was correct in terms of the most effective treatment is propylene glycol applied tropically a couple of times a day. This treatment is not effective in all cases but showed the best results.
Normally the symptoms start appearing around 7-12 months. After the age of 2 1/2 to 3 they gradually improve with age. There is no cure. Once you see a case there is no mistaking it for any other problem.
It is my understanding that it only takes one parent to pass along this issue.

I read the 2006 postings on this that was very helpful. especially what greg from Little river posted.
He had a dog with this problem. And is the exact same thing. The pet in question was spayed along time ago. The mother how ever hasn't the sire.

Will not produce again. It is out of a chocolate line from canada. I would like to research some affected lines. of the chocolates. If anyone would care to email me.I would just like to know for my bennifet.
TIA

Wow I checked my email this morning. And quite a few have responded to this.TIA. I don't and will not use what i have found out to slam anyone , probably wouldn't help anyway.Just for my own knowlege.

Is there a photograph anywhere that we could look at?

Re: Re: Hyper keratosis

Diane I will be writing you more off forum as my girl was part of the U of Montreal study of hyperkeratosis in Labradors. If the dog has hyperkeratosis there is NO cure at present. I hate to say it, but there may be many more visits to the dermatologist to figure out what treatment will work best to just MANAGE the problem. My girl's problem started before her first birthday and she turned 10 in April. With my girl not only is the nose affected but her pads are as well. The problem was VERY active for many years, then it slowed down as she got older but is more active now since she had knee surgery in April.

My boy's feet and nose are affected. I have to grind his foot pads with a sanding band or they crack and bleed.

Essentially, are you saying either parent can be a carrier, not necesarily both and it is always genetically produced? (I have never seen it but want to be informed, the reason for my posting as I never heard of it before.)

Is the general consensus to take both the bitch and stud dog out of any breeding program if any or one pup in a litter is produced with this issue?

TIA for replies.

That's what i would like to know.
I had 1 bitch out of 20 pups 2 litters Same sire. so far the pups are 18 mos only 1 has the problem. I sold her at 4 mos. I was thinking of keeping her and showing her.But she didn't grow much.
i contacted all the other puppy people , And no one else has the shedding problem or the nose problem.

I have a 3 1/2 mo singleton from this same breeding. so far she doesn't show any negative signs of anything. except an over bite.

They say they get a ton of hair off of her every day.But I don't know what or how much they consider a ton of hair. I have never had a dog shed like what they say she does.They could be over reacting on that.

we saw the dog last oct. after all the moaning and groaning about this kertosis thing. Met them at a match. Actually my DH and I really didn't feel it was really bad???like what they still think.,We have seen it way worse in other breeds. She is on the P glyco cream.

The VET is the person who said that is mainly in east coast breeding and canadian labradors. Please don't slam me for this comment. I'm just relaying what the vet said.

I would like to trace it back to what ever chocolate line.? And please don't email me that you want to know if you can't help me. I'm not going to say what line i have. That's how gossip gets started.
if you feel you have had even 1 incidence of this i would like to know. if we all keep quiet thats how we don't learn or spread it.

Of course we won't know until a puppy client calls us and asks why there dog has a crusty nose.
or they are first thought it was NASEL MiTES.

Actually I would like to hear from any breeder or owner who has been affect by this , Who lives over in the Uk or europe. Hope you can help.

Re: Re: Hyper keratosis, for those that are interested.

This is the notes from the study made:
As one can see from the study there are other causes of the condition than just genetics.
And for those that would like to see what it looks like:
http://littleriverlabs.com/halleynose1.jpg
http://littleriverlabs.com/halleynose2.jpg

HEREDITARY NASAL HYPERKERATOSIS IN LABRADOR
RETRIEVERS

Page N 1, Paradis Ml, Lapointe jM2, de Jaham C3

Department of Clinical Sciences I and Department of Pathology and Microbiology2, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine,
University of Montreal,3200 Sicotte, St-Hyacinthe (Qu6bec), J2S 7C6

Centre V6t6rinaire D.M.V3, 5959 Route Transcanadienne, St-Laurent (Qu6bec), H4T IAI

This project was finded by the "AcacMmie de Midecine Vitirinaire du Quibec "

BACKGROUND:Known causes of nasal hyperkeratosis in dogs include distemper, pemphigus foliaceus or erythematosus, discoid or systemic lupus erythematosus, zinc responsive dermatosis, ichthyosis and necrolytic migratory erythemal-2. There is also an idiopathic form of nasal hyperkeratosis that occurs most commonly in old dogsi-3. Recently, several Labradors retrievers coming from different breeders were presented for nasal hyperkeratosis of early onset.

OBJECTIVES: The purpose of this study was to describe the clinical, histological and inimunohistochemical data from Labrador retrievers with nasal hyperkeratosis and to assess response to various therapeutic modalities. In addition, we wanted to investigate potential parental links between affected dogs, and recruit additional affected relatives to further document the disease.

MATERIAL AND METHODS: Data were obtained from the owners and breeders of affected dogs on the clinical presentation of the disease and regarding other affected and unaffected relatives. Pedigrees were obtained when possible. Nasal planum biopsies, taken on 6 dogs, were processed for histopathology (hematoxylin-phloxinsaffron staining). Immunohistochen-iical stains (avidin-biotin-peroxidase complex) for canine IgG, canine distemper and papilloma viruses were applied to 4 of these biopsies (Western College of Veterinary medicine, Saskatoon, Canada). Fungal cultures (Fungassay(D) from the lesions were performed on 3 dogs. Response to various treatment modalities was assessed by physical examination when possible, or by telephone follow up.

RESULTS:
Family history: 14 labradors (4 females/10 males) coming from 5 litters (4 different breeders) were identified as having nasal hyperkeratosis. Pedigree analysis showed that all dogs shared common ancestors. None of the sires and dams from which information was available (8/10) were clinically affected. Clinical history and presentation: In all cases, the nasal hyperkeratosis was noticed between 6-12 months of age. It affected mostly the dorsal aspect of the nasal planum, and consisted in greyish or brownish adherent accumulations of keratin. Lesions were dry and rough. Fissures and erosions occasionally developed. All the dogs were otherwise healthy.

Histopathology revealed in all cases parakeratotic hyperkeratosis, varying from mild to marked, with moderate acanthosis. Within the stratum comeum and superficial stratum spinosum there was multifocal accumulation of proteinaceous material between keratinocytes, which was often marked and sometimes formed large "lakes", containing a few neutrophils. Occasional stratum spinosum keratinocytes had intracellular edema, and rare dyskeratotic cells were noted. 'Mere was moderate neutrophilic and lymphocytic exocytosis through the epidermis, sometimes forming small lymphocytic aggregates.

15@ Proceedings of AAVD/ACVD Meeting, 1999 41

An interface dermatitis was also present in all cases, consisting of mild to moderate band-like infiltrate of lymphocytes, plasma cells and macrophages along the basement membrane, rarely infiltrating and obscuring the stratum basale, associated with variable edema, fibrosis and pigmentary incontinence in the supperficial dermis, and spongiosis in the stratum basale. Rare aptopic cells were obsevered in the stratum basale and spinosum (less than 3 per section).

Immunohistochernistry did not reveal significant deposition of IgG in the epidermis or in the basement membrane zone.

Fungal cultures were negative.

Treatments: Three dogs received oral zinc methionin (2.5mg/kg PO once daily or 1.5 mg/kg PO twice daily, Pala-Z, Virbac, Inc., Fort Worth, Texas, 76161) for I month, with no improvement. Minimal to no improvement was observed following 3-4 weeks of cephalexin in 3 dogs (22-30 mg/kg PO twice a day). Three dogs improved with 1-3 daily topical applications of petroleum jelly or vitamin E. Seven dogs were treated with 67% topical propylene glycol 2-3 times daily (GlycolP, Rhone Merieux, Canada, Inc.). Two dogs did not benefit from this treatment and the 5 others were greatly improved. In these dog&f the owners noticed that the hyperkeratosis rapidly resumed if they stopped the topical treatment.

CONCLUSION: The age of onset of nasal hyperkeratosis in Labmdors and the familial links between affected dogs are striking features of this disorder. Up to date, the etiology of the disease remains obscure. The histopathological findings bear some resemblance to discoid lupus erythematosus, zinc responsive dermatosis and mucocutaneous pyoderma. Further investigation will be needed to characterize and assess the heritability of this disease. Since most if not all the sires and dams that produced affected dogs were not clinically affected, we could speculate at this point that an autosomal recessive mode of inheritance is implicated4.

REFERENCES:
1. Scott DW, Miller YM, Griffin, CE. Small Animal Der?natology, 5th edition. Philadelphia: VIB Saunders Co; 1995: 824-844.
2. Griffin CE, Kwochka KW, Macdonald JM. Current Veterinary Dennatology, The Science and
Art of Therapy. St. Louis: Mosby Year Book; 1993: 176-190.
3. Yager JA, Wilcock BP. Color Atlas and Text of Surgical Pathology of the Dog and Cat,
Den-natopathology and Skin Tumors. Vol. 1. Wolfe Publishing; 1994: 69-70.
4. Nicholas FW. Introduction to Veterinary Genetics. Oxford University Press; 1996: 154-16 1.

I have a dog with hyperkeratosis. It is a manageable condition without spending a fortune. The dermatologist put her on Zinpro zinc supplements. She takes 5 a day. I also put Bag Balm on her nose several times a day. We have seen wonderful improvement. It will not cure it but keeps it under control.