Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
what color leads? Neat survey!!

I have noticed a new trend of Labradors coming into the ring with neat colored leads and collars lately!

I think it is great!

Just wondered if we could do a survey about who likes what?

Here goes:

What do you show your.....

Ylw bitch in?
Ylw dog in?

Choc bitch in?
Choc dog in?

Blk bitch in?
Blk dog in?

Have fun everyone!!!

Re: what color leads? Neat survey!!

Why not expand that to all breed and speciality shows too?

I guess I am old-school, but I use black on black, tan/beige on yellow, brown on chocolate. I think the dog should stand out, not his/her collar/lead. JMHO

Re: Re: what color leads? Neat survey!!

Great idea!!!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Why not expand that to all breed and speciality shows too?

I agree 100% but I have seen it done very low key tastefully and I think thats great!

Why not have a bit of fun, ya know?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I guess I am old-school, but I use black on black, tan/beige on yellow, brown on chocolate. I think the dog should stand out, not his/her collar/lead. JMHO

I match the lead/collar to the dog. I was told when I started showing eons ago that a different color cuts the dog in half and is distracting to the judge.

Do you use English slip leads always at a specialty ? Do you have some dogs that still do better with a little chain ?
I think it is fun at big specialtys when some match lead and cloths. Thats what makes specialtys fun.

Re: Re: Re: what color leads? Neat survey!!

At Speialty's, I like to match the lead with my
clothes. Some wont's agree but most judges
can see past the lead on a dog:))

And NO it does not cut the dog in half???
It compliments them!

Re: Re: Re: Re: what color leads? Neat survey!!

Call me superstitious, I use the exact same black and purple beaded kangaroo leather lead for all of my dogs (it's been Good to me as far as ribbons have gone), (blk, ylw and choc) and each one of them wears a silver chain. As far as the Specialties, I would like to use a slip lead, except, my black male just Needs that little bit extra control (or is it me that needs it:-) ) and my chocolate girl is So dark, I can't seem to find one that matches her and my yellow dog is the same, so dark, I can't find one to match him either. And believe me, I have slip leads in almost every shade of yellow and brown. So for those situations, what's the best color to use? I'd love to hear opinions on this one.

Chantel

I like the lead to match the dog, as if it isn't there.

I'm new to showing, so want my slip lead to stand out as little as possible. LOL

Since I have only one dog I'm showing, a yellow boy, I show him with a cream-colored slip lead at specialties and either a silver show chain or cream-colored nylon slip collar/lead at all-breed shows. Otherwise, I tend to do some pretty dumb things with my lead, and don't want to distract from my boy.

Me too. I like the appearance of the dog not having a lead on at all.

As much as I enjoy the drama of bold colour on a happy and good looking dog;
Black on black
ivory on yellow
brown on chocolate

To answer Chantel - what ever lead feels the best in your hand and you have the most confidence in. And about leads in color - I love color and design so I can't help but love to see dogs sporting colors. At specialties - I enjoy the brood bitch and stud dog classes to have coordinating leads - the leads help us poor observers to keep the group of parent and get together -

Re: Re: Re: what color leads? Neat survey!!

So at a Specialty, if you're going to use a slip lead and it doesn't exactly match/blend in with you dog, do you go with a completely different color then? Does it ruin the look if the slip lead is a really different shade than the dog?

Chantel

(I know, more questions than answers!!)

What's so great about kangaroo skin? Why do I always see it advertised?

" What's so great about kangaroo skin? Why do I always see it advertised?"

I really like the Kangaroo leather because I can grip it. I've tried the nylon leads and they are constantly sliding out of my hand. Kangaroo is also very strong and durable. I spent a lot of time working the conditioner in to my lead and it is now soft, pliable, and bunches nicely.

Cheers, K

The lead should match the dog, imo. And, yes, it does cut the dog in half, especially the neck, whether the dog has a lovely reach of neck or it is stuffy. Either way I think it ruins its topline and detracts from a lovely neck as well as accentuates a stuffy one. And English judges aren't very keen on colored leads.

I show a yellow boy and use a lead that matches his fur.

I have lots of fun leads for out of the ring though.

I'll make it easy and respond to the original question:

Ylw bitch in?
Tan or pink

Ylw dog in?
Green or blue

Blk bitch in?
Red or pink

You all are discussing slip leads but what about chain snake show collars (which look great)? I use a thin black show lead period with my show collar. The lead itself is away from the dogs neck. The collar is silver on the neck... I just prefer my snake collar and the feel of my skinny, thin, leather black show lead on my dogs - black or yellow.Plus I don't have to worry about a tan lead getting dingy.
A