Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best Advice

What is the single best piece of advice your mentor or someone in labs gave to you when you were first starting out?

Of everything that you learned about this sport, what is that one thing that sticks out as being invaluable to you in your breeding career?

I've learned so much in the past few months and I was curious as to what you all felt was the best advice someone gave you when you were a newbie

Re: Best Advice

That this is a hurry up and wait game.

Also, that this is not a boring hobby!

nice thread!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

What is the single best piece of advice your mentor or someone in labs gave to you when you were first starting out?

Of everything that you learned about this sport, what is that one thing that sticks out as being invaluable to you in your breeding career?

I've learned so much in the past few months and I was curious as to what you all felt was the best advice someone gave you when you were a newbie

Re: Re: Best Advice

"Keep it fun." and "Don't forget your other interests!"

Don't ask a question or ask for some advice, if your not prepared for the answer.

Don't get mad at someone's answer. You ask for it!

My strength is in my bitch line...

best advice given....

"grow thick skin"

and i believe you really have to , to stay involved in this hobby!

I know it's been said a million times..... but always, always, try to be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

Valerie - Bibsmom

Sorry Valerie but......

whenever I hear someone say this, I think of Shanny....

WHAT I MEAN

Stay true to what you like/want. Don't change the style/type etc.. of your dogs just because something else is in fashion.

Sue

Re: Sorry Valerie but......

Well I didn't think of that, you are soooooo right Laura (in Shanny's case)! She is the ultimate Devil Dog - LOL.

Okay.... everyone but Laura try to be the person your dog thinks you are!

Valerie

Worry about what is in your own backyard. If you worry about what others are doing you will drive yourself crazy.

Just because they have a fancy website does not mean they are a good breeder.

Gossip in this sport spreads like wildfires. If you do not have something nice to say say nothing at all.

Old time breeders are not always good breeders.

Someone who you may think is your mentor may not be showing you the correct road to take. Listen to your own ideals at times. My second mentor outweighs my first a million times over! Find one that fits.

"Don't forget. It's all someone's opinion. There is no right answer."

Winning isn't everything.........and don't go running to the latest winner to breed to him, just because he won.

"When you've been in dogs as long as I have, you see a lot of really wierd ____." Referring to various "stuff happens" situations from congenital defects to half-a-dozen missed breedings in one year to dogs doing wierd stuff to judges doing wierd stuff.

Have the wits about you to know when your dogs just don't cut it, or have qualities that you would want to promote. This ncludes attitude, temperament, type, trainablility and presence. Place the ones that don't "cut the mustard". Don't keep what doesn't please your eye, and what doesn't comply with "type". If you don't practice this, you may end up with alot of mediocre dogs.

A strong bitch line is a must.

Best advice? Quantity doesn't mean quality. Some of the breeders who breed the least amount of litters manage to stay on top even though they don't have the numbers of some of the "Big Breeders".
Also, if somebody trusts you with their private opinions, advice or information then please keep it to yourself and don't betray a confidence. There is nothing worse than a blabbermouth!

Re: Re: Re: Best Advice

Lots of great advice and suggestions here.

Thank you very much

Don't believe everything you hear unless you hear it directly from the horses mouth!
There are many rumor mongers out there.

You are responsible for what you produce. You chose to get her pregnant, you chose to have puppies. Without your intervention she would not be pregnant so above all else you are 100% responsible to make sure she comes through this healthy and that her offsping are health and have good homes. If in 5-10 years or whatever one has to come back then you take it back. It is your responsiblity!

Know your limitations and be realistic. Don't get in over your head, look out to take care of your own so your dogs become someone else's burden.

TYPO, sorry, meant to type "DON'T" become someone else's burden.

Believe in yourself! Don't be afraid to ask!

"Invest in a good shovel - you're going to have to deal with a fair amount of muck!"

GREAT THREAD -

My first thought, before I read any responses . . .
"Your bitch line is your strength"

Then I took a second and thought about what I've learned:

Laura said it best -

Have the wits about you to know when your dogs just don't cut it, or have qualities that you would want to promote. This includes attitude, temperament, type, trainablility and presence. Place the ones that don't "cut the mustard". Don't keep what doesn't please your eye, and what doesn't comply with "type". If you don't practice this, you may end up with alot of mediocre dogs.

Learn to live with the knives in your back. Competition and friendship are two completely different animals.

Spend more time watching and listening than talking.

GREAT thread!
Many thanks!

gcb

Don't be afraid to ask, always be ready and willing to learn, keep smiling, and never be 'barn blind'. Find a great mentor (thanks goodness I have one) and follow the golden rule.
A

BE HONEST!!!!!