Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Diarrhea

my 10 month old puppy had diarrhea and i am not sure what to do. i'm going to try the apple sauce trick but how much should i give to her. i have also heard of mixing rice and applesauce together. what kind of rice, and again how much? does anyone else have a different solution to solve my problem. she has been like this for about 3 or 4 days now, and i'm starting to get very worried.

Re: Re: Diarrhea

i did take a sample to the vets the other day and they said that she was fine.there has been no change in her diet so i have no clue what is wrong.i don't really believe in the fasting, but if it worked for you, i'm glad.i'll try the 1 1/2 tablespoons of pumpkin for her and thank you all.

Re: Re: Re: Diarrhea

Put her on boiled ground beef and rice or ground venison and rice for a coupe of days. She'll be fine.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Diarrhea

Is the stool runny, cow pie like, mucus, blood in it, please describe as best you can. I also fast for 24 hours, gives stomach time to rest. Is it vomiting, listless, eating, lethargic, excess thirst?

Re: Diarrhea

If your girl is fine other than the diarrhea I'd try some plain yogurt. You can let her lick a TBSP or so from a spoon if you're going to be fasting her. If you have some Amforal at home that should help too. If not, ask your vet for some. Even with a normal stool check they shouldn't have any problem dispensing it to you. It's great to have on hand for times like this.

Good luck and I hope your girl feels better soon.

Aloha,
Kim

I also fast for 24 hours and then feed boiled hamburger/rice or chicken/rice for a few days. If the stool is not improving quickly enough for me I give flagyl for a couple of days. If vomiting occurs too then I'd take temp. and probably go to the vet.

For diarrhea I continue to feed normal food if the dog has a normal appetite and is otherwise acting normally. I'll give Tylan or Albon along with Immodium until the diarrhea subsides.

I fast for 24 hrs. and then give hamb/rice or chick/rice for a couple days and they usually are fine.

Good Luck,

Donna

Re: Re: Re: Diarrhea

Yes it seems unkind to the dog to make him fast butit it is beneficial: his stomach and digestive tract can settle down easier with fasting.

I continue to feed normally because the diarrhea resolves so quickly with the Immodium/Tylan/Albon. Generally, the very next stool is normal or close to normal. It seems pointless and perhaps counterproductive to empty the digestive tract, or to change the food they are eating. I take my cue from the dog - like I said, if they act normally and want to eat normally, I continue to feed normally. None of that applies if the dog seems listless, uncomfortable, or otherwise not normal.

Just my practice - works for me but might not work for others.

Re: Diarrhea - Applesauce

For mild cases of diarrhea, yes you can use applesauce. Add it to the food or feed it by itself. It contains pectin, which is a natural fibous substance, and acts to tighten the bowels. You can also add rice to the applesauce for an even better effect.

Re: Re: Diarrhea - Applesauce

her stool seems to be subsiding by itself. i have though, givin her some wet food. it is natures promise and it has lots of things in it that are said to help with the bowels. it is irish stew flavored. i am though, going to try the applesause. her stool was slightly normal just it was yellow and very squishy and not together necessarily. it was a little thicker that cowpie but not to much thicker. it is hard to explain. thank you every one.
Lablover

Re: Re: Re: Diarrhea - Applesauce

Sounds like coccidia...try the Albon if you have some on hand or call your vet back and see if he'll prescribe. If they don't leave stool sample in a float solution long enough or inexperienced lab tech viewed it will be missed. Sometimes it just looks like a bubble under a slide.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

her stool seems to be subsiding by itself. i have though, givin her some wet food. it is natures promise and it has lots of things in it that are said to help with the bowels. it is irish stew flavored. i am though, going to try the applesause. her stool was slightly normal just it was yellow and very squishy and not together necessarily. it was a little thicker that cowpie but not to much thicker. it is hard to explain. thank you every one.
Lablover