Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
bitch in season

does anyone know about what age bitches will go into season? like how young do they usually go into season?

Re: bitch in season

It depends on several factors--for example, dogs in the southern states will cycle earlier than dogs farther north.

The usual guidelines are 6 months for first heat, but they can be as late as 1.5 years. I am sure others can relay extremes on both ends of the spectrum.

MK

Re: Re: bitch in season

ok well, we are in new england and she is ten 1/2 months so she is in season right now. that may explain why she has been escaping and running off towards the woods for a week now! thank you very much

Re: Re: Re: bitch in season

My experience:
My girl's first heat was at 12months+1day= lasted 28 days.
> second haet was at 21 months = lasted 28 days.
> third heat was 29 months - lasted 22 days.

I'm in the North!

On average, my girls usually first come in close to 1 yr of age, but have had them as early as 9 months and late as 15 months.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

does anyone know about what age bitches will go into season? like how young do they usually go into season?

My first bitch, field/pet bred, went in just before 8 months. My current bitch just came out--she went in at 9 1/2 months. Her dam went in at 14 months and granddams were 13 and 15 months.

My first bitch came in on her first birthday exactly and cycles every 6 1/2 months or so.

My second bitch came in at 6 months and has cycled every 6 months one week ever since.

(I was pretty surprised by her early heat - will be interested to see if her daughters from her first litter do the same, they are 3 1/2 months old now and seem like babies as did their mother when she first came in.)

Bonnie

Re: bitch in season - Question Bonnie?

So many people say that after their bitches came into their first heat they quit growing. Your bitch came in @ 6 months. Did she grow after that?
Just curious....
Valerie - Bibsmom

I have heard about the growth thing too...but I have also heard others say that there will be a growth spurt after the first heat cycle....which is it?

Re: Re: bitch in season

I go by the amount of lump left on the growth plate on the front of the front legs -- at the top of the pastern. If it is quite smooth, height is pretty much complete. If there is still a lumpy look to the area, there is still some growth in height to come. I don't gauge end of growth by timing of the first heat.

Re: Re: Re: bitch in season

Both my girls had their first heats at just over one year old. One is every 8 mos the other is every 6 mos. I believe it also plays into effect how many other bitches you have in your house. Some are dominant enough to bring others in with them, even after they've been out only a few months. Kind of like the human thing!!!LOL!! Seems like all of females at our house are PMSing at the same time!

Both my girls went into heat at 10 months. The oldest grew another 3/4 of inch after her heat cycle. The other we will see she just started her cycle last weekend.