Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Missed breedings

A couple of years ago alot were talking about missed breedings ? Have not heard that as much lately. What was learned from that year or so of missed ? Did you find anything to be the reason ? Testing, tubes, labratory test was sent, even the water in areas ? Had wondered. When I miss and the only time, was the stud dog. Interested if anyone changed the way they did things.

Re: Missed breedings

I had no puppies for nearly 3 yrs due to misses. I have started doing Progesterone testing on ALL females that come in for breeding plus my own girls even tho the stud might be used from my own kennel and this year we are doing GREAT!.. I dont know about others but you did ask about any changes.

Re: Missed breedings

I missed three girls in the last 8 months and one was by transcervical insemination. Two of the three were progesterone tested. Still Baffled.

Re: Re: Missed breedings

When this problem happened several years ago, many were baffled then too. But, most found if they put their entire kennel on 3 weeks of Doxy, there were improvements. This included dosing even the retired and nonbreeding dogs. It's been a while, but I believe it was two 200 mg. tablets twice a day. I would check if that is the correct dosage. I know it worked for me after a string of misses, and several very small litters (singleton or two). Do not dose any already bred bitches with Doxy.