Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kink in Tail

does anyone know if there is a problem showing a dog with a sight kink/bend at the end of the tail?

Re: Kink in Tail

There is no "problem" showing a dog with a kink in it's tail. I think you will go in with a disadvantage if it affects the overall outline of your dog. Also it really depends on how much of a kink it is. A breeder judge would likely look past it, but in an all breed situation I'd say probably not.

Re: Re: Kink in Tail

I disagree. I think a breeder judge can appreciate a correct otter tail far more than an all-breeder.

I don't have a copy of the standard with me but every judge has always run their hands down my dogs tail and he has an obviously very nice otter tail - no kink. Soooo take that info for what it's worth....
A

Re: Kink in Tail - Keep the Faith

I had a puppy from my last litter and he had a little kink at the very tip of his tail. I massaged it when he was just a wee one and it went away completely.

He went to a pet home but the kink bothered me more than anyone! None of the other pups had a kink.

How old is you dog? I started working on the kink 2 days after he was born. I doubt it would work on an older dog.

Good Luck

I would place a puppy with a kink in the tail. It is known to be hereditary, and even though it's cosmetic, so are mismarks. I wouldn't want a kinked tail in my breeding program. It won't help you in the show ring - and in the Lab ring it's so hard to win already.

kinks in puppies tails are hereditary? What extent of kinks are we talking about?

Yes, in fact, the Briard is required to have a "crochet hook" kink at the end of its tail. Kinks in Labrador tails are known to run in certain lines. I had a pup with a kink in his tail. Sold him as a pet, and the new owners named him "Hudson", registered name "Heybern's Bend in the River". I thought that was great!

In 15 years of breeding this is the first kink I have seen in my lines. My Vet said it could be as simple as the tail being in a weird position in utero.

I sold my pup as a pet even though the kink was gone because he was PQ but had he been show - it wouldn't have stopped me from keeping him. If in later generations I started seeing kinks again - then he would have been cut from my program.

I guess I feel very lucky that a little kink is all I have reaped from my own lines.

I've seen real oddities like extra toes!

I have a male that has a kink in his tail. He has gone reserve winners dog out of the puppy class under all a round judges. Also placed at specialties in puppy classes. He went 4th in a best bred by sporting group at a show, kink tail and all! Haven't shown him as an adult much yet.

Have been breeding for 27 years no kink tails before this. He is a fifth generation from my foundation girl?

He sired a litter of 5 no kinks their either. It as an oops mother to son breeding as well so should have doubled on that kink gene