Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
when can you feel puppies?

Wanted to know when the average time frame is when you can feel puppies moving during a pregnancy ?

Re: when can you feel puppies?

http://www.debbiejensen.com/date.html is a bible i've been following thru my girl's pregnancy.

she was bred on april 11th- and is due June 13th/14th.
according to the chart : May 25th puppies can easily be felt though counting is difficult. and May 30th- you can easily detect movement.
may 30th- will be 2 weeks before due date .

Hope you enjoy the great info on this chart, i love it!!!

Re: Re: when can you feel puppies?

I was raised on horses, and bred them prior to getting into Labradors. I was always really good about being able to feel the slightest flutter on the horses, and have been able to do the same with the Labs. However, I had a litter of 13 pups about 2 years ago, and I never felt a thing. Although I really felt in my heart that she was pregnant, and she was the size of a barn, even the x-ray was unable to penetrate her belly. She delivered all 13 without any problem, and they all survived and did well. So, just because you can't feel them, doesn't mean that they aren't there and doing really well.

Re: Re: Re: when can you feel puppies?

Thanks for your help. My bitch has has two litters proir to this one and I could feel her pups from the 7th week on. She was also as big as a barn. But this time she looks pregnant. Acting pregnant but not as big, and I can't feel any puppies at all! Taking her in tomorrow for an x-ray. She is due next friday and I am not sure if this is a false pregnancy or just not as many pups. She had 12 both other times and they all where over a pound a piece.

Re: Re: Re: Re: when can you feel puppies?

you can palpate for pregnancy around day 28-32. They may be too small before this to feel and after this they become too big and all kind of "meld" together after that. If you follow that chart that was mentioned and try to feel at "May 25th" it would be way too late to really be able to tell.

Re: when can you feel puppies?

Kathy,

I know it is only a couple of days difference, but is optimal palpation time 28 - 32 days from conception or from ovulation?

thanks