Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Canidae food

Does anyone feed this food and what are your thoughts good or bad? TIA!

Re: Canidae food

I think food is a breeder's religion. It's very personal and the subject is rarely discussed without emotion. I have fed the same food for 20 years. Attempts to convert me to designer brands or raw foods haven't worked. If your dogs' coat, pads, nails, energy levels and longevity has been good - you have a 'good' food.

Do a forum search on Canidae. This topic came up 2 weeks ago. I have fed it for over 7 years and it has been great for my dogs.

Re: Re: Canidae food

I have been feeing Canidae to all of my labs for over 7 years also. I have had nothing but good things come from feeding this food to my dogs. They all have wonderful coats, no ear/skin problems, good weight. I am also a breeder of labs and start my puppies on this food when they are a couple months old. I don't start off right away because sometimes I do think it might be a bit rich for them wiht the 4 meat sources though. Now they have Chicken&Rice and Lamb&Rice though. When I sell my puppies off and I see them 6-9 months later I can tell who feed my puppies canidae and who feed them other foods. The ones with Canidae in my opinion have much better thicker coat and better shine. OF course this is just my opinion.

One of my dogs ate canidae (till everyone had to eat the same food for a food trial). She has always had a beautiful coat, and is in great health. She ate the regular (4 meat kind) then the lamb and rice for about a year. I really like it
barb

We put our dogs on the Canidae Chicken & Rice formula for about 3 months and only a few of them did well. The rest lost weight (weird since we fed them the same amount as the food we were feeding before and that food had less calories), started shedding excessively and/or had massive amounts of loose stool. I've never tried the All Life Stages formula, but I know many people that use it and like it. Our experience with the C&R wasn't a good one.

I feed Canidae - recently switched to their new Lamb. I can't believe your dogs had weight loss & loose stools - I had (unwanted) weight gain and great stools.

BULK ORDERS????

Hi All:)
Annie from Fl here.
I love Canidae (actually my dogs do) and now that I have a full house of five dogs to feed I need much more than I used to use. I looked into a bulk order from Petpoint but they do not service my area ( FL) although I can use the 200LB for 175$ deal ( includes shipping) but I was hoping to find a better deal by the pallet. Anyone have any experience or suggestions?
I called Canidae direct and they basically referred me to a local pet store that doesnt really want to make any deals.
I know some places such as feed stores will work with people who will buy by the pallet, or in amounts of 500lbs or more.
Any info would be appreciated. I also have several pup families on the food so I have others I can go in with if I need to make an even greater order. Any little bit we can save while still feeding a food we think is exceptional is something to be grateful for!
Annie

Hi Annie-

I hope you are on the breeder program. For every 5 bags, you get 1 free. You should look into the program.

Ron

Re: Re: Canidae food

Yup, I just signed up and it is a great deal...and maybe it is so good that i shouldn't really hope to save much more eh?
I just got really excited when i saw the 500lbs option on the petpoint web site and was disappointed to find out it didn't apply to me.
A further catch is that they usually only deliver to biz addys since it comes by semi so my best bet is to find a feed store or some such that I could work with.I just thought I recalled some discussions on this board by others who bought by the pallet for a savings although I don't think it was Canidae they were talking about...figured it never hurts to ask:)
Annie