Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
swimmer puppy

I think I have a almost 2 week old swimmer puppy on my hands. I've never seen or had one before but her chest is pretty flat and though I know that pups usually don't start getting up and wobbling around waking until closer to 3 weeks, her other littermates are already trying to get up and walk. This chubby girl only crawls, not using her rear legs. She obviously eats alot as she is so fat.

I googled swimmer puppy on this forum and on msn. There are suggestions of taping the dog's legs but they don't go into telling how to tape and which do you tape, the front or the rear ??

I am using sheepskin for their bed but does using egg crate cusions cure most swimmer puppies ? What else can I do ? Thanks for any help with this matter.

Re: swimmer puppy

I know quite sometime ago the below link was posted here to help out with a suffering swimmer pup. Hope it helps.

http://www.swimmerpuppy.com/

Re: Re: swimmer puppy

Thanks, I also found this link which talks about Swimmer syndrome thought to be genetic linked. Has anyone kept a swimmer puppy for their breeding program and how often did this dog or bitch produce swimmers ?

I have information about this - please feel free to email me. I just recently learned about this condition.

Re: Re: swimmer puppy

I have had good results putting the puppy on a childrens vitamin, Poly Visol without Iron.
And a egg crate mattress pad helps too.

Re: Re: Re: swimmer puppy

http://www.bulldoginformation.com/Swimming_Puppy.html

Just found this article and found it more informative.

Still, I wonder if my puppy is just plain too fat and that's the reason she can't move about like her other brother . She isn't flat like a pancake like the one article was describing a swimmer. Her front legs don't spread out to the side like a turtle so maybe she isn't a true swimmer. She doesn't even try to use her rear legs much but she has these very chunky thighs.

I found a egg cushion so I'll start putting the puppies on that during the day when they are up moving around. I Just wish I could find some good photos of what a true swimmer looks like. All I am finding on the internet are articles and some puppies who were already cured of swimmers.

Re: Re: Re: Re: swimmer puppy

There is also good info on this thread on swimmers from 2 weeks ago.
http://pub12.bravenet.com/forum/976632990/fetch/636721/

Good luck

Re: Re: Re: Re: swimmer puppy

I've never had to tape the legs of any swimmer i've had and i've had about 4, if you send me an email with swimmer in the subject line i'll send you pictures of my swimmer and the "t Shirt" I made for him to keep him on his side, better to do it sooner than later. I also use the egg foam under my bedding in the doggie box and you should use strips of it under their bedding to make hills and mountains for them to climb over.
Aloha,
Jackie

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

http://www.bulldoginformation.com/Swimming_Puppy.html

Just found this article and found it more informative.

Still, I wonder if my puppy is just plain too fat and that's the reason she can't move about like her other brother . She isn't flat like a pancake like the one article was describing a swimmer. Her front legs don't spread out to the side like a turtle so maybe she isn't a true swimmer. She doesn't even try to use her rear legs much but she has these very chunky thighs.

I found a egg cushion so I'll start putting the puppies on that during the day when they are up moving around. I Just wish I could find some good photos of what a true swimmer looks like. All I am finding on the internet are articles and some puppies who were already cured of swimmers.

I just had the same situation--at 2 weeks, one big boy was very flat-chested compared to the others and also seemed not to be getting his legs under him like the others. I put an egg crate mattress pad in the puppy box--no taping, no making him lie on his side, etc. In my case, the egg crate stuff was all that was needed. A week later he is getting around as well as his siblings. I'd give your girl a chance to "fix herself" with the foam before taking other measures--but this was my first experience with this.