Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Are these good judges for Chocolate dogs?

Hi All,
Not trying to start anything, but I'm looking to send my chocolate girl with a handler and have very limited info about these judges, any thoughts would be great and private replies please.

Arley Hussin
Dorothy MacDonald
Dr. Lee Anthony Reasin
Larry Sinclair
Dr. Klaus Anselm
Howard Falberg
Richard Beauchamp
Jerry Watson

Thanks in advance.
Chantel

Re: Are these good judges for Chocolate dogs?

I'm not so sure about these judges, but I've found that type is more important than color these days on average.

Re: Re: Are these good judges for Chocolate dogs?

I would think a good handler would know. They usually can just tell you quickly. Chocolates are looking so much better these days would think they are being put up by more judges. They are by breeder judges. Some are still color blind, so know what you mean. What area is this ? Don't know alot of these. Age old question though.

Re: Re: Re: Are these good judges for Chocolate dogs?

Reasin likes chocolates. I haven't shown under him for a few years. But he is on my show list.
W.Bergum is into chocolates as well.But the dog needs to be over all balanced well and correct mover.

D. Macdonald gave my chocolate bitch a major.

I agree, that type is more important than color, but having just experienced it, there are still some judges that will still decide based on color alone.:-(

Thanks for all your help with this.

Chantel

Dorothy MacDonald will find the best dog-she doesn't care about color. Lee Reasin has put points on chocolate dogs I have shown.

Regardless of whether the judge actually judges the whole dog not the color, I find it helpful to know a list of judges of that will put up Chocolate....being that I am a chocolate person. Being new in the sport, and not having that utterly perfect bitch, I would rather show her to someone KNOWN to have appreciated a good chocolate in the past than to someone who has ONLY put up yellows and black, even if they are supposedly to be impartial. Does that make sense?

I used to have a list of judges that put up a chocolate male that I loved, but I lost it...similar type to my girl. I showed to a few of those judges and felt they appreciated my girl a bit more than some other judges I have shown under.

Rick Beauchamp will put up a nice chocolate. He likes a nice typey dog. He gave me RWD (to 2 points) with the Chocolate boy that I show. I just happened to be up against a lovely black puppy boy among other nice dogs, but he did like us enough for Reserve. LOL

I think you find more judges are now willing to put up a chocolate since breeders have made great strides in improving the overall type and quality of this color. If it's the same or better quality than the other colors in the ring, there should be no reason it shouldn't win.

Dianne

It's always good to know what a judge likes. And I do agree, that for the most part judges will not look at color, but there are still some judges that just do not like them. The latest comment I got about a chocolate girl was "These chocolate dogs just don't think the same as the other colors, Not quite as bright!" So there are still some out there that don't like them.
But thank you to those who answered on the list and privately. I have some good insight on the judge list now.

Chantel

Think with chocolates they are a little smarter. Sometimes smarter than who is trying to train them, that then call them a little crazy. They seem to think more. I have seen some of all colors that don't seem to think at all. Just here. Others are a step ahead of you at all times. Some still have old ideas of the chocolates when over bred just to make money.
Bad thing is its still happening with yellows and chocolates. $$$