Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What does "typey" mean to you?

"Typey" is such an interesting word, I think we all have an idea of what we consider typey to mean. Just looking for other (especially more experienced)thoughts. TIA

Re: What does "typey" mean to you?

Looks, acts like a Lab is "Typey" to me. Some people breed their own "type".

Re: Re: What does "typey" mean to you?

i was actually talking about this with someone a couple days ago. i am new to all this, but i associated type with how a dog looked, and acted as well. just how many types for labs are there?
adam

Re: Re: Re: What does "typey" mean to you?

I think we do ourselves a disservice when we speaking of breeding different "types", as in "Mrs. BreederX breeds for a different type than I like". Yes, the dictionary confirms this usage as correct...but to avoid confusion within dog-breeding circles, I think we would be better off using "strain" or "look", and reserve "type" for the meaning it's always had for the old breeders...

...simply put, the characteristic stamp of a breed; that set of traits which sets a dog unquestionably and unmistakably apart as a LABRADOR and none other.

Re: Re: Re: Re: What does "typey" mean to you?

I like the lean look of the Field Lab... sleek, breed standard height, a little longer nose, not much, just all around more athletic look. I don't like the "hound dog" looking ears, and I don't care for the snippy nose.

Is this what you wanted to know? If so, you will get lots of different views. Now before the rest of you go on the "proverbial warpath", please take into consideration that not everyone likes what everyone likes. Don't get me wrong, I like the "old style" Lab too but I guess the reason I like the Field lines are they SEEM, don't get upset, to hold up better, they have to, are smarter, they have to be and stronger, again they have to be, than the "Brit style". Just my experience though, even my geriatric fieldies are strong as oxes. I'm sure everyone is going to come unglued on me...I started to sign my real name but I'm afraid....VERY afraid. I read this forum daily and it doesn't take much to get some all riled up and believe me this is NOT my intention, I just think that that's what the original thread was directed at.

Type is what defines a breed. When you have breed type you have a dog that has the essentials of the breed as defined by the written breed standard. The proper size/shape of the head (not just a block head), you have the proper coat, double coat, correct texture, the tail is a nice thick otter tail wrapped in the proper coat, you have the proper structure, good bone, correct shoulder layback, front assembly, good strong topline/tailset, and proper rear assembly. To me the more of these quality a dog possesses, the typier it is to me. The standard, however, like anything, is always open to interpretation and personal "styles". This is a good thing though as it does provide for a little variety. There are long time breeders who have a very recognizable style in their line and kudos to them for their knowledgable selection of dogs to maintain a very consistant look.

But when I see a lovely dog with all of the above attributes, that is what a Labrador is all about. It is a typey Labrador vs one that is just a generic looking Lab.

Hope this helps!

Dianne

Type is what makes a Labrador a Labrador. Type is the essence of Labrador: head, coat, and tail. Type is NOT another word for style or preference as so many people use it. It's a simple concept that I've found many cannot seem to wrap their mind around. I hate hearing people say, "My type of Labrador is different....." Use a different word because TYPE has a special meaning in dogs. Instead say, "I prefer a Labrador that (fill in the blank)."

Labrador Type is exactly style and individual preference in labradors. It means much much more than the basic head, coat and tail concept and that is probably why so many folks have a hard time with this concept. Type is the individual style of Labradors that are produced by various lines of Labs, or kennels. Example, most everyone knows what
type is meant when discussing Tabatha, Chablais, Wiscoy, Dickendall, Balrion, Sandylands, Poolstead, Rocheby. They all breed labradors but the type is different from kennel to kennel. Some are deeper in body, have more leg, less leg, more coat, more bone, less bone, a recognizable type of head etc.

Seems we've been down this road before - probably at least once a year - on this forum.

If we qualify the word "type", it makes it much easier to understand. "Breed type" is what makes a Labrador a Labrador and, without which, it would lack the essentials.

"Kennel type" is what makes certain Labradors instantly recognisable as being part of a particular family, i.e. Poolstead, Tabatha, etc.. These dogs ooze breed type, yet there is that "something" that makes them identifiable and produces itself down the generations.

TYPEY means (to me) exceeding in the areas of breed-type.

ie: COAT - not just good, but excessively good

BONE - not just adequate, but very high on the scale of having good bone

HEAD- not just there, but VERY high on the scale of having a nice head

TAIL - having an outstading a wonderful TAIL.

you can say the same thing about feet, depth of body, etc,,,,

TYPEY is one of those things you can't readiy define but know when you see it.

I realize that. But I think that is what the poster meant by what she was asking. Poster...please define what you want to know when you ask "Typey" meaning.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Type is what makes a Labrador a Labrador. Type is the essence of Labrador: head, coat, and tail. Type is NOT another word for style or preference as so many people use it. It's a simple concept that I've found many cannot seem to wrap their mind around. I hate hearing people say, "My type of Labrador is different....." Use a different word because TYPE has a special meaning in dogs. Instead say, "I prefer a Labrador that (fill in the blank)."

JP you nailed it. Some have a type they like but that is not what we mean when we say "a very typey dog".
What the standard says a Lab should be.

Re: Re: Re: What does "typey" mean to you?

No, no, no. Breed type is not individual preference.