Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Optigen dilemma

Very simple: One of my stud dogs is a carrier. Breeder wants to use him on her untested bitch. I love this bitch. I would love to keep a pup from this breeding. She can only be normal or carrier, not affected. No time for testing her. She is in season now. Question to stud dog owners: Are you requiring bitches to be normal if they want to breed to one of your carrier boys? Or do you think it is the bitch owners responsibility to make this decision. Never thought I would have trouble deciding about this. I thought I was so sure I would not allow carrier or untested bitches to use this boy. But wow, would I love to see this breeding happen. I need to decide by today, or she will go to another boy. help

Re: Optigen dilemma

I would say it is the bitch owners decision. As long as your boy's clearances states his Optigen results. She will be responsible for the litter, not you. I would certainly test any puppy you may want from this litter before I took it!

Re: Re: Optigen dilemma

The whole purpose of Optigen is so our dogs will no longer produce puppies who affected by PRA. We have this tool available to us to help better the breed. Would breeding an untested bitch really do that? JMHO

My take on it is that you know your dog is a carrier so it is your responsibility to *The Breed* to refuse the breeder until she gets her bitch tested.

Personally, I'd not breed to her - let her be breed to a clear dog this time around, get her Optigen done, then she can be bred to your dog at a later time if she comes back clear. There's really no excuse to even take a chance of producing affecteds if you can possibly help it - again this is MY OPINION ONLY!

I agree. The temptation is there BUT.... I wouldn't breed your guy to the bitch until you know her status...it is your duty to the breed no matter how much you love the girl. Hard choices.
JMO
A

I also would not breed the bitch. Once you know your dog is a carrier, I believe it is your responsibility to use the information for the protection/betterment of the breed. JMO.

I also agree with not doing this breeding.

Bitch owner should breed to an A and then Optigen test for future breedings.

Bitch has to be tested normal or proven A by parentage to breed to my B boy.

Thank you all. I have decided to go with my first reaction. I will not do this breeding now. I called the breeder and told her. She thought I was nuts. From her reaction, I doubt she will ever do it. She said there is a 50% chance her girl is clear. She thought those were good odds. I feel I made the right decision. But, why do I now feel like I have to go have a good cry?

I just ran an Optigen - sent it for next day delivery on May 14th and I had the results via email of the 22nd of May. I asked for a rush if they could, but didn't pay any extra for the rush.

I'm glad you decided to not do the breeding. As far as the bitch owner being upset that you wouldn't take a 50/50 chance of possibly producing affecteds, I think you're probably better off not dealing with her if her personal "ethics" allow her to take that chance!

Please do not feel badly about protecting the breed you love! I have a Carrier Champion. NO WAY would I allow a breeding to an untested bitch. There is a chance of producing affected and who will be responsible for the puppy or puppies if they ARE born affected? No breeding is worth a blind Lab. I have turned down breeders of untested bitches and will continue to. It takes 2 to tango and the stud dog owner is 1/2 responsible for what the litter produces!
This is my passionate opinion. KUDOS to YOU!

THANK YOU for making such a hard but important decision. You have done the breed a great service today...congratulations

Is it technically your responsibility? Not really, no, the bitch owner is responsible for pups. But (and I can only speak for myself here), I would feel morally responsible if blind dogs were produced because I knowingly let my carrier stud breed an untested female.

JMHO...

You did the right thing. I only breed my B boy with Norma clear A girls. And yes, that is what we are working toward. Do not let anyone make you feel bad. We are just as responsible as the owner of the girls. And let something pop up and no one will use your boy. You did good.

Having had a PRA affected Lab, I am really glad you made this decision. If you really want to breed to this dog in the future, you could offer to pay for the Optigen testing after she is done with this litter, as part of whatever stud arrangement you and the owner came up with. If the owner is upset now, you could call her sooner rather than later, and give her that option. Maybe that would help for any future relationship you may have with her.
Just allow yourself to be sad for a short while. You made the right decision and should take comfort in that.

Good for you for making the right choice!

Thank you for making the right decision. You may feel bad now but the wrong decisions always come back to haunt you.