Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Anxiety in older dogs

There was a thread a while back about older dogs that suddenly start to show signs of anxiety. Someone posted that there is a medical condition that can cause this behavior.

I haven't been able to find the thread. Can anyone help me find that info?

Thanks.

MK

Re: Anxiety in older dogs

I would be interested in this too as there is someone on another board going thru this with a senior.

I thought perhaps it could be a bit of senility. Had no idea there was an actual medical condition.

Just found this on another board.

"There is something called "Canine Cognitive Dysfunction"which is a bit like senility in dogs"

don't know if this is what you are talking about. I tried a search on this board but nothing came up.

What kinds of behaviour is your senior showing??? Drastic change or ????? One of our seniors was exhibiting some different behaviour - after we confirmed that her hearing is going we now know why this is happening. I'd be interested in learning more about the medical condition too.

The dog I was referring to from the other board was exhibiting fear of thunder, separation anxiety, only comfortable in the basement. 12 year old.

Her crate had been moved during a renovation and when they put it back in place it seemed to calm her some.

Re: Re: Anxiety in older dogs

She has never been bothered by storms. But one day this week when I got home, she was upstairs--she never goes up unless invited and we go with her. She was a bit anxious. The storms were still going on--I think the biggest culprit was the weather radio. We have one that is tuned to just our county, but we have the older one downstairs that goes off for EVERYTHING in the whole state.

I shut that off, and let her stay in a crate that night. All better the next day.

One thing I have noticed in my older dogs--it seems their hearing becomes more sensitive to certain noises like it actually hurts their ears. Sharp noises, high-pitched noises. I have never had one go deaf.

The canine cognitive disorder does not seem to be what I am seeing--I think it was just a unique set of circumstances triggered by the rough thunderstorm.

MK

I would bet the change in routine for the dog whose crate was moved (they do love their routines!) and the T-storm were the culprits here. Glad to hear your dog was okay the next day!

I have a 14 year old that has gotten progressively worse with anxiety...storms, loud noises. Nothing wrong with her after a complete physical, blood work, etc..she didn't want to eat or socialize. Even ignored our food. We could occasionally get her to eat in the bathroom, with the door closed, when we were gone.

We decided to try Clomicalm by Novartis, from our vet. It's been two weeks now and there is a marked difference. More social, starting to eat again, a lessoning of anxiety. She was absolutely miserable and we were starting to wonder if she needed to bet PTS as she hid in the bathroom all the time and obviously didn't want anything to do with anything or anyone.

There is a lot of research now about anti-anxiety and anti-depressants for dogs. I would certainly talk to your vet. It seems to be helping one of our dogs.

Sue