Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
prcd-PRA normal clear by parentage status

A friend and I have been having some discussion about this. Years ago I had correspondence with Optigen and OFA about the possibility of "someone" offering a registry for those dogs "clear by parentage", and at that time there seemed to be a liability concern and/or no one was set up to be a database and issue "certificates".

One friend back at that time mentioned that it could be possible to offer a database/registry if dog's sire & dam were DNA tested, and the dog was also DNA tested... then all it would have to be would be a certificate stating that said dog is proven by AKC DNA testing to be the progeny of said parents who have been Optigen tested as normal for prcd-PRA. If liability was the concern, well it shouldn't be with such a certificate because al the certificate is saying that the dog is out of said parents who were Normals... not saying that the dog is guaranteed to be prcd-PRA normal.

I know there is the unofficial database online that, but it sure would be handy to have a certificate for clear by parentage dogs and not have to make photo copies of the grandsire & granddam Optigen reports for puppy packets or stud packets, etc.

There was an idea presented to Optigen asking that they possibly offer a drastically discounted test fee for dogs that are clear by parentage out of Optigen tested Normal parents.
I don't know how the "drastically reduced" idea will go over (ie.; a nominal fee comparable to a ACVO exam fee) as Optigen is a business, not a non-profit.

Anyway, just bringing this up for some discussion and ideas.

Some will say no big deal to have a certificate, that they'll continue to photo copy grandparents test reports and supply those instead of a "certificate". Still it would be nice to have an online registry where information could be looked up. I realize OFA offers this for a fee for dogs Optigen tested, but there is no provision for dogs clear by parentage.

Lastly, anyone have any idea who would be a (club, organization, etc.) good candidate to set up such a database??

Re: prcd-PRA normal clear by parentage status

No comments yet ... so, I'll offer my thoughts!

Ideally the database should be kept by Optigen, although they say they are not a database keeper, that they are a testing laboratory... but at the least, that all Normals would be in the database and that owners of Carriers or Affecteds could sign off for release of information for the public record, and they should offer the database FREE considering what they charge for the test... then if they want to make a little money, they could offer the "clear by parentage" certificate and list those dogs for a fee providing they also meet the DNA requirements. Just my thoughts.

I wonder if any data base would hold the information if the dog itself has not been Optigen tested and clear by parentage.

I personally would only use a stud dog that was tested regardless of a "clear by parentage" unless my bitch was an A herself. Just some input from my standpoint.

I feel all stud dogs should be optigen tested for obvious reasons even if they are clear by parentage. I would hope any database would expect the same.

A great subject you proposed, I am suprised no one has replied to it yet

Valerie wrote: ""Lastly, anyone have any idea who would be a (club, organization, etc.) good candidate to set up such a database??""

Valerie, I can't answer your question regarding who would be the best candidate to host such a database. However, as an example I can point out that the Cardigan Welsh Corgi Club of America maintains such a database, or PRA Status List.

That parent club (CWCCA) maintains several PRA status lists, those that "test clear", "both parents test clear", "Line cleared" and "Carrier". Of course they have had the PRA test available to them much longer then the Labrador community has. So they have dealt with the question of breeding "clear by parentage" dogs.Go take a look at how they have it set up.

http://www.cardigancorgis.com/prastatus.asp

I'd LOVE for the LRC to put together a list like this where we could submit our results. I think if our parent club did something like this it would certainly lend "credibility" to such a project.

Hope that helps!

Dana Loud
www.mirabellelabs.com

Thank you Dana... exactly the kind of input/ideas needed. Where it goes, who knows... but can't make things happen where more than one person is involved unless you talk about it!

Re: Re: prcd-PRA normal clear by parentage status

In Australia and New Zealand the company that does our prcd-PRA tests also as a matter of course DNA profiles every dog they test.

http://www.gtg.com.au/AnimalDNATesting/index.asp?menuid=080.150

Therefore all it takes is a DNA profile of the offspring of the clear parents and the company provides a clear by parentage certificate. This result is as reliable and valid as a test.

There is the Labradata database, where photocopies of certificates can be (and are) stored. Why create new databases when there is already a database that can be used? Or is the issue that people don't want to make the effort?