Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cypress Mulch

I have covered an area in my yard with Cypress Mulch.
I read here awhile ago that it was a good choice.
The garden center said that it was one of the few mulches that does not have dyes and preservatives in it. So far, I figure it is a good choice.
Here is my problem-
two of my labs are picking up chunks and chewing on it.
They do not swallow it but seem to just chew it up and spit it out. Of course they must be getting some of it into their systems.
Any thoughts on this harming them?
My breeder friend said that the "novelty" will wear off and they will stop.
Do I start raking it all up or not?

Re: Cypress Mulch

I don't think this will harm them at all if you worried about it being toxic. Now swallowing large chunks might be a bigger worry. But my dogs chew sticks all the time when they find them. So maybe the novelty will wear off with it being available to them all the time. But I doubt it.

I have a friend who has her entire back yard filled with mulch for her dogs and I love it! Wish I could convince my husband to do it.

They should be fine,just make sure you did not use the cypress mulch they dye. It's called "red mulch",and does not fade in the sun.

Thanks for your replies.
The mulch is regular cypress bark mulch. Tan in color.
Not red at all.
The one year old girl likes to walk around the yard with a piece in her mouth.
Spits it out when another dog comes by with a toy.
I had no grass and lots of mud so that is why I went the mulch route.
Hope it works out.

Re: Re: Cypress Mulch

I would be very careful if I were you , I had a friend who just had a dog decide he was going to eat all the sticks instead of spiting them out his stomach was full of sticks. he then got a twisted stomach and spline and passed away after the surgury after throwing a blood clot.
If it were me I would be real careful.

Re: Re: Cypress Mulch

We use a cedar bark mulch. It is very stringy and doesn't blow. The dogs chew on the big chunks it when it is fresh, but they leave it along after the newness wears off. Does anyone know of any problems with cedar?