Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
amounts to feed growing puppies?

I use Purina Proplan puppy for my litters. On average, how much per puppy are you guys feeding your 5 week old? 6 week old? 7 week old? puppies?
Thanks

Re: amounts to feed growing puppies?

They leave here on 2/3 - 1 cup three times a day. When in the whelping box, I feed them enough so there is leftover when all the pups are done. Then mom cleans up.

Re: Re: amounts to feed growing puppies?

Whatever they finish is what I give. It takes a little adjustng to figure it out with each litter

Re: Re: Re: amounts to feed growing puppies?

i tell my custermers 1 cup 3x a day, 6 months 2 cups 2x a day, switch to adult at 8 months unless they are not holding weight, then stay on puppy!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: amounts to feed growing puppies?

Wow you guys feed a lot more than I do! My pups go home at 8 weeks on one cup twice a day. I don't like to see fat puppies or swollen bellies--I keep them lean and increase as they hit growth spurts.

MK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: amounts to feed growing puppies?

that is not enough food for growing pups, way to little. i've been breeding for 15yrs,never fed that little????

It doesn't sound like too little to me. My pups eat 1/4 cup three times a day by six weeks and by the time they leave here they are eating 1/2 cup three times a day. They are usually quite chubby on that amount.

Maybe it depends on the kind of food you are feeding... we are feeding Innova.

no i don't think so, i feed 1 cup three times a day also!!!!!!!!

I also feed 3/4 - 1 cup, 3 x day when puppies go home. I've fed ProPlan, Biljac and Canidae, all pretty much the same amounts.

Hmmm... must just be different lines then. There is no way my puppies could even eat 3 cups of food per day at 8-9 weeks old. 1 1/2 cups per day is max, even if they are free fed.

Yes, three cups a day in my pups at 8 weeks and they would look like bloated pigs. I am sure there are differences in foods, blooodlines, etc. That's why one must be careful handing out advice on such things--all dogs are different, even within the same breed.

MK

I feed ProPlan Large Breed Puppy, which I feed until between 14-18 months of age, 1 cup three times a day until around 6 months, then 1 1/2 to 2 cups twice a day after that with adjustments up and down for how the puppy is looking and their level of exercise. I supplement all my dogs, from the getgo, with Missing Link, glycoflex, yogurt and a sprinkling of frozen bil-jac. I admit they also get table scraps, whatever I eat, they get a taste!

I keep my puppies at Purina weight scale between 4 and 5 - which is described as follows:

4 - UNDERWEIGHT: Ribs easily palpable, with minimal fat covering. Waist easily noted, viewed form above. Abdominal tuck evident

5 - IDEAL - Ribs palpable without excess fat covering. Waist observed behind ribs when viewed from above. Abdomen tucked when viewed from the
side.

I like thin puppies while they are growing and I like to keep my puppies pretty active. When they are more mature or are out showing they can put on a little weight for a while but I always take off any show weight they might have put on.

Bonnie