Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
cherry eye from an injury??

I noticed my girl's eye last night was swollen and looked like she has cherry eye... pink tissue protruding out the bottom eye. Upon a closer look she had a seed in her eye that I was able to retrieve. This morning my girl's eye is still watery and the pink tissue is still swollen. Of course its a holiday weekend. I was just looking for some advice or experience with foriegn objects in the eye... will the swelling go down on its own???

Re: cherry eye from an injury??

You need to take her to a vet some were to get it out. This must be taken care of sooner rather than later. She only has 2 eye.

I just had a four month old puppy with what looked like an infection of some sort in her eye. I had my reg. vet look at it the same day and it ended up that the puppy had scratched her eye and had an ulceration. Got to the optham. next day and she had an internal eye infection (in the fluid inside the eye). Kind of unusual, but I had 5 different meds for her to take and to use on her eyes. The optham. thought it might be a tick borne disease, but she tested neg. to the ones we tested for. She is much better now, but still on 2 meds.. I would get it checked. You never know.

The seed it out... I was able to retrieve it last night, I was just wondering if anyone had this symptom before (cherry eye look of teh swollen tissue) in their dog and if the swollen tissue went down on its own... Its the holiday weekend, the eye doc is closed till Tuesday and its not an emergency, she is seeing fine and her eye isnt falling out or anything . It actually already looks alittle better. We all know what its like to have something happen over a holiday weekend, I was just looking for some others' expereinces

Re: Re: cherry eye from an injury??

Try a little Visine. It won't hurt and might help.

TY Gail.

Re: Re: cherry eye from an injury??

Any eye injury IS considered an emergency. The dogs cornea could have a scratch from the seed that you can't see unless the eye has been stained. Use caution putting anything in the dogs eye unless it was prescribed by a Vet for this dog. I would at least call the emergency clinic and take their advise. Good luck...

Re: Re: Re: cherry eye from an injury??

I agree with Melody, chances are good that the seed caused a corneal ulcer by rubbing on the surface of the eye. Corneal ulcers are very painful and cause alot of swelling and tear production. Don't use any eye drop that contains a steroid and seek medical attention as soon as you are able. Good luck!
Lisa

Re: Re: Re: Re: cherry eye from an injury??

Visine stings. I wouldn't use it on my self, never mind my dog. I would find a vet and get their opinion first. Eyes are important and you don't want to damage anything on your own.