Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PRA Dogs question

What is the oldest someone has notice PRA setting in and starting and what is the youngest ? Just with anyones experience. If it were 9 years old would you think it might be something else ? I had it show up very young in the dog I purchased but was doing cerfs.
A pet home would not maybe see things for alot longer. Night blindness being the first thing to come. So glad we have Optigen now. My dog is almost 12 and has done so well. The other dogs help. I was just thinking about it.

Re: PRA Dogs question

My boy was diagnosed at about 8, but started with the night blindness around 7. He went to a veterinary ophmologist so we know it wasn't something else.

Re: Re: PRA Dogs question

Mine was diagnosed during a Cerf exam at age 4. She had passed a Cerf at age 3. By 6 she was bumping into things and by 8 her eyes were cataracted over.

Re: Re: Re: PRA Dogs question

Mine passed cerfs at 3 and I noticed night blindness at 4. Cataracts became evident by 5. He is now 5 1/2 and I think most of his sight is gone

What's the oldest that you should continue doing CERFs?

I cerf my litters at 8 weeks.

We have a PRA bitch that went blind at 8.

I don't undertand (and I am not flaming here) why people don't post with their real names on a thread like this.

We are here to help each other.

Just because you have a PRA blind dog doesn't mean you bred it, just like we didn't in our case.

Patty - would it be any different had you bred the dog in question? Eight years ago, we did not dispose of the tools we have today - precision tools only date back a little more than a year. The possibility of reliable prcd-PRA testing now means that "names" are no longer relevant... the beauty of this genetic leap is that only the two dogs in question count in any breeding.

Blame is the favourite armour of the ignorant!

Hope that last remark is not misconstrued - just a generality, certainly not aimed at anyone on here... and certainly NOT Patty.

Re: Re: Re: PRA Dogs question

Yes, it sure makes it nice. I have stayed away from very nice pedigrees for years because one or two known carriers were way back there. Now, if a grandson or daughter are Normal you feel safer using it. Really carrys you back to some very nice dogs.
Still have to watch all the other things these dogs can pass. Like someone else said nice the day DNA can help us with other defects.

With my pet boy, I first noticed subtle signs and some night/low light symptoms at about 4.5-5 years. Now at 6 he is still trying to catch that frisbee, but his percentages have dropped (and so does the frisbee most of the time!)

I have noticed that he is getting more obnoxious with the barking, and I think that the blindness is the cause of that. Any experience? He is my first 'going blind' dog.

I asked that very question when I took some of my guys in for cerf's. I was told that there was not much need to continue to cerf my 8 year old who has been optigen tested normal/clear for PRA. Apparently, most of the abnormalities besides PRA show much earlier.