Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Paint for a whelping box

Hi everyone. I am making my first whelping box, and I was wondering what type of paint is the safest and most durable. I was given some sheets of free press board (the type they make counter tops out of) real thick stuff. Heavey too. It's all cut to size, I just need paint. What are your sugestions?

Re: Paint for a whelping box

I didn't use regular paint. I used a clear marine varnish type , several coats. It is easy to disinfect and wipe down but you have to really let it dry and in warmer temps. This is my boxes fifth year and it is still in great shape

Re: Re: Paint for a whelping box

I just cleaned and refinished my whelping box last week in preparation for Bronte's litter ...due tonight or tomorrow! I use Varathane Clear Diamond Finish for wood. The clear marine varnish sounds good too.

Re: Re: Re: Paint for a whelping box

If you can get someone to apply formica it is well worth the effort. Very durable and extremely easy to clean/disinfect.

I used exterior house paint.

How long do you wait after you paint or varnish a wooden whelping box before using it so the bitch does not inhale any odors? Some good ideas were mentioned that I might use in the future. Do you recommend The Dura-Whelp style or a wooden box with paint or a marine finish and for what reasons like weight and storage or how long they last? TIA for more suggestions!

We made our whelping box out of 1 1/2" x 30" PVC pig panels. The box is 48-60 and I bet it doesn't weigh 40 lbs. I have not used it yet so I can't say how well it works but it will break down into flat panels for storage and should be easy to disinfect. We purchased the materials at pur local farm supply store and paid a fraction of the price of a Durawhelp or Jonart. I like the no painting idea beings it is pvc... If you would like to see pictures e-mail me and I will send you pictures.

I used 1 sheet of 3/4 inch good plywood, cut it into 4 sections of 2' x 4'. Cut a door from one side and made sliding slats for the door and put it together with drop in hinges on the corners, so it can be taken apart. The pig rail is seperate from the box and just drops in. The finish I used took several days to dry as it was pretty pungent but once dried very easy to clean and when puppies are older and start gumming and chewing they don't get any paint, the verathane holds pretty well. I don't know about the Dura Whelp boxes but I wanted something pretty sturdy as my bitches sometimes use the sides to push against and I can sit on it while I am waiting.

We made our welping box out of white resin fencing. It weighs only a few pounds, I can lift it with one hand very easily and it is a dream to keep clean. The box is 4x8 and it cost under $200.

I'm just finishing a new wood whelping box. Water based polyurethane was suggested. I went to Lowes and asked what would be safe if a baby chewed on it and that was what they suggested. I thought asking about a baby would get a better response than asking about puppies chewing on it.

Mine is made of melamine board. It is particle board with plastic laminate (melamine) adhered to it. Easy to clean.

MK

Re: Re: Re: Paint for a whelping box

ge,

You mentioned using the white vinyl fencing for your whelping box. I've had a durawhelp...which is fine if your bitch doesn't decide to get bored and chew it or drag it around with puppies in tow (that is a fun experience!). The wooden boxes are so heavy and need upkeep. Would you be willing to elaborate more on how you built your whelping box or share photos?

Thanks every one for the adive. I was going to use the melamine, but hey when the wood is free . Now she'd better pass her hips and elbows as her welping box is almost finished