Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Scrotal dermatitis

Hi, I have a young male (< 2years) that had scrotal irritation secondary to a bout of profuse hemorrhagic diarrhea a few days ago. The irritation improved significantly in the 48 hour period following the diarrhea. He seemed to be improving with his degree of comfort in that area and this morning was the first time he sat down comfortably. I had not noticed him paying particular attention to that part of his anatomy, until when I was playing with him this afternoon, my leg was covered in pus. I turned him over and his scrotum was oozing. Along with the metronidazole, he is now on Clavamox tabs for the scrotum. I am making him wear an E-collar, but am very concerned that it is a race between healing and necrosis. I have heard of horror stories when the testicles have dehisced :(. This has to be from self-inflicted trauma. I have put a mild wound cream (silver sulfadiazine) on the scrotum and have made him a diaper to protect the scrotum from the ground (and my floors). Has anyone ever had to deal with this in their boys? If so, what have you done to treat it. I am very concerned that the ulcerated areas will continue to deepen and jeaporidize the testicles. Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Scrotal dermatitis

What I can tell is that for years I groomed a colliex who was not neutered and he had a nick name. His name was Mickey, but we called him " old crusty _alls". I always told the owners of his condition and they never did anything about it. His parts were very pink, often hot and crusty with seepage. Gross! Mickey didn't seem bothered and his owners were odd to say the least. As far as I know he wasn't being used for breeding, but who knows? Personally I'd be in touch with a very good repro vet and keep a handle on this. Good luck.

Re: Scrotal dermatitis

I had a young male with a contact dermatitis, he was miserable and could not get comfortable until I figured out what was going on.
I gently cleaned the scrotum with cool dilute Nolvasan, dried it and put some antibacterial creme which I don't remember, but I would guess the Silvadene creme would be fine. GENTLE is the key, use cotton or something very soft to clean/treat. I would not use a diaper, as this just keeps heat and bacteria against the skin. Let the air get to it, and just keep doing what you're doing, and gently, and I bet he will be just fine! You may even want to use an anti-inflammatory, topically and/or orally as this is an extremely sensitive area, and can be very painful to your boy.