Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stud dog question

Just thought I might throw this out there:

I co-own a girl who just came into season and will be bred via AI when the time is right.

The stud dog was chosen by my girl's breeder/co-owner and I have never seen a photo of him. I have been requesting this for about 9 months, since her last season and there is always some excuse from the stud owner, such as "I have to log on to my other computer", "I need to take a new one", "I have to upload them from my camra" etc etc ad nauseum.

At this point, all but the puppy going to the co-owner are mine, I paid the stud fee and I have fabulous homes waiting for all of the puppies, each one of them carefully screened by me, under my guarentee etc. I am starting to feel played. I wonder what I must sound like to my puppy people who want to see pictures of their baby's father. I don't even have copies of his OFA reports, just what is on the site.

Question is, how do I tell both the co-owner and the stud dog owner I am not comfortable unless I see at least a photo? Do I just pretend I am ok with this? Simply stated, am I wrong for wanting to see what this dog looks like? I trust my girl's co-owner and I have been told why the dog is a good match for my girl, I just want to see for myself!

Re: Stud dog question

Umm, just tell them?!? It is absolutely your right to see the dog you're paying money for, though apparently your contract gave the breeder/co-owner the right to choose the stud dog. As far as OFAs - many don't bother to send them out - I just print them off of the OFA website myself, which is fine with me.

As they say - "Just Do It"!

Get a picture or don't do the breeding!
There is no excuse for that kind of BS.

Do you know the stud dog's name? Google it. Or, call or email a breeder friend of your co-owner, get the kennel name of the stud dog and look up the website, show up at the co-owner's house, contact the club your co-owner is a member of, etc., etc. There are many, many ways to skin a cat, don't be passive about something so important. It's your future your talking about!

Alas, another co-owner problem. Not suprised. Let this be a lesson to you. Of course you should see the male. Why would you not? Don't be "taken" by this person. Demand to see him.

Re: Re: Stud dog question

I agree, just tell them you don't feel right breeding your girl to a stud you have never even seen. And I would google his name, if he has been shown or used by someone else sometimes they put them on their web page. For sure go to OFA and print out a vetical pedigee and see some clearances. What can they do if you say, Not without some info ! Would they. Don't be taken advantage of. That is silly.

Actually, my girl's co-owner and I have always agreed about EVERYTHING, I have no problem with this person at all. The co-owner has seen and met the stud dog on several occasions and I love the pedigree of the boy. As for being a co-own problem, my girl's breeder does not control the photos of the stud dog! I would not hesitate to co-own again with this breeder!

I have googled and googled until all was awash and I have only come up with a photo of one of his sons, whom I quite like!

I requested a photo again today, so we will see how that pans out.

Then if that is the case and you trust your co owner and are a first timer, guess, you will get a picture later, maybe co owner has seen dog and loves it ?

If you co-own, then you should AGREE on the stud dog chosen. It sounds like you had no say at all in the decision. You should have both seen him or at least seen photos of him. If he's been used at all, there should be no problem locating a photo of him.

Why not call/email the stud owner and ask for a pic?? This doesn't seem too difficult, so I don't understand being frustrated about it for 9 months

I also co-own my girl and her breeder retains the right to approve of all stud dogs. That is great with me as she knows her lines and can do a better job choosing than I can. BUT I would insist on all the information I would get if my girl was an outright purchase and not a co-own. And knowing my girl's breeder I would get all that and more when the time comes. I also think it is BS that you can't get a photo.

Re: Re: Re: Stud dog question

If you love the stud's pedigree, generally like the same type of dog as your co-owner then just contact the stud owner and ask them for a photo of the dog.
I don't really see this as an unsurmountable problem.

Who is the stud dog in question?

Personally, I would be concerned about something else too. How easy is this stud owner going to be to work with when it comes time for the AI shipment??

If you can't get a simple photo, what else is going to be soooo dificult for the stud owner to provide?

Has your co-owner or anyone she knows ever worked with this stud owner? The most wonderful planned breeding is of no good if you can't get the semen on time because the stud owner is difficult to work with.

This is so true! I was very interested in a boy. I did not know his owners personally. I tried several different times by email and by leaving a message on their phone, and they never got back to me. As I was ready to try one more time, it occurred to me that I would not be able to handle the stress if I could not reach them when time came to ship. So, I chose another boy, and I am so glad now that I did. The first ones never did get back to me.