Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Eye color question

A question for chocolate Lab folks. At what age approximately do a chocolate's eyes achieve their final color? My pup's eyes were green at first and are now sort of yellow gold. He's 4 months old.

Re: Eye color question

In my experience you likely have your eye color. Green-eyed chocolate pups tend to be yellow to gold. Blue-eyed chocolate pups tend to be amber to brown.

My pups usually have their final eye color by 12 or so weeks, occasionally a little later.

Mine was green, then yellow and by 2 he had a nice brown eye.

"In my experience you likely have your eye color. Green-eyed chocolate pups tend to be yellow to gold. Blue-eyed chocolate pups tend to be amber to brown"

My experience has been the opposite. Green eyes as pups go to a nice brown while blue eyes turn into "headlights".

Re: Re: Eye color question

I agree with Barefoot's answer. But also agree with the next. By two years or a little over, if you are lucky and have one of those lines you will go to brown. You will be able to tell a difference by 1 yr. but alot more by 2 or 3 yrs. Some light eyes will never be anything else. But know there are certain lines that do get brown later. Never had but the green eye once, took 3 years to be pretty. The pups start with blue, turn darker, and then gets touches of brown usally by the time they leave at 8 weeks. This is just my 25 years of chocolates experience.

My chocolate puppies have pretty blue eyes that change to brown by 8 weeks. Occasionally I get a light brown eye.

Re: Re: Eye color question

I agree, Hattie and Brian, I have bred chocolates for years and they have blue eyes that get darker and most are brown by 8 weeks when they go home. All shades of brown but I love the really dark brown. Think they have a more soft expression. Just think some lines carry a lighter eye.

Re: Re: Re: Eye color question

My girl that I show is only now developing that nice dark brown eye that her mom has and she is a month over 2 years. Up until about 20 months, she was wavering on a light brown/hazel eye.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Eye color question

I have had very nice dark eyes on some of my chocolates, and on others a lighter eye that has turned a very reasonable medium dark caramel color by around age 2 to 3. I initially was surprised by how long they would continue to darken. Knock on wood, so far I haven't had "headlights".

Susan

Re: Eye color question, now a new comcern

Thanks everyone. I know I shouldn't obsess over this puppy, but he's my first show prospect. Here's another question. I've heard the term "puppy uglies" and boy, does he have 'em! If his rear gets any higher, he'll be walking with his nose skimming the ground, or so it seems. At what age should I expect his front end to catch up with his rear? I should say that at 8 weeks, all his parts were where they were supposed to be

Re: Re: Eye color question, now a new comcern

JMO but I have had some stay together the whole time, most starting about 4 months may not come back to your beautiful pup for months. Maybe 18 mos. or so if a male. Males in my line go through uglies longer. Some do not even show those slow lines, which makes it hard when you need to get them out for the experience of it all. Some take males in the ring at 2 or 3 years and finish quickly. But yes, 4 months is just the start of it. Play with your puppy, teach him some manners and find a confirmation class for socialization.

Eye color question

My chocolates continue to have darkening of the eye well into adulthood--sometimes up to three years old.

MK

I agree with MK. My chocolates start with blue eyes that darken to green and continue to darken until age 3-4 years.