Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Switchign litter wet to dry

I have always kept my pups on soften food longer than I think is the norm (around 10 to 12 weeks). I have a litter here and was wondeing when do you switch their soften food to solid food? What is the best way to handle this? I have stoped "mashing" the food and have been decreasing the water and feeding them just the puffed kibble not mashed.

TIA

Re: Switchign litter wet to dry

At around 6-7 weeks we just put the dry food in their bowls and add water, we don't soften it at all and they have no problems

Re: Re: Switchign litter wet to dry

As soon as they have all their baby teeth, my puppies go right on dry kibble.

Re: Switchign litter wet to dry

I do the same at about 6 weeks. Just add water to the kibble, no softening, no mashing. I do this will all my dogs. I was told it helps them digest their dry food better if it has water in it. Doesn't get time to soften before they eat it so why not? I have done it this way for 21 years.

Re: Re: Switchign litter wet to dry

i never feed dry food to puppies, its to dangerous, they can choke if they get to much at once. my vet also agrees, soooooooo better be creful if you have been doing it that way!!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Switchign litter wet to dry

I fully agree, I send my puppies home on soaked food and I recommend it to my buyers for at least 6 months, longer if they inhale their food. I know of a puppy who choked to death on dry food. My adults still get their kibbles moistened, not soaked to mush or anything like that, but enough that the kibble is not hard. It's just piece of mind for me.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Switchign litter wet to dry

us to NEVER just dry food never!!! we always soak food for ever, it makes a nice gravy anyway. i don't like my food dry either, do you ????