Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Moving questions...input requested!

I and the Labs are moving from northwest Indiana to Austin, Texas, in about two weeks.

* What should I know ahead of time?

* Can anybody recommend a (very!) good vet in the area?

* Any preparations I should make?

Thanks in advance!!

Re: Moving questions...input requested!

Fleas and ticks NEVER die in the south...and much more problem with intestinal parisites for the same reason. You may encounter whipworms and hookworms for the first time (Interceptor is the only one that gets heartworm and most intestinal worms INCLUDING whips).

Fire ants are another concern, plus rattlers, cottonmouth and copperheads--all poisonous.

Much hotter and more humid, so watch your dogs during strenuous exercise or field training.

MK

I would suggest that you contact the Heart of Texas Labrador Club for help with your move. They can recommend vet(s, tell you what to expect in the area and are just downright nice people to boot!

Re: Re: Moving questions...input requested!

O.K. for the first time I can gladly celebrate living in the snow capital of the U.S.!

Hi Veritas,
Welcome to Austin, Live Music Capital of the World. We have a really nice group of Labrador people here, also an active Retriever Club and Obedience/Agility Club.
There are several well recommended vets in our area. E-mail me with your new address and I can get you close to some, we are sort of spread out here. I do drive about an hour to get to my vet, I think he's wonderful.
Heartworm & Frontline (or comparable product) are a must year round. Fleas are not as big an issue in the Hill Country as deer ticks are. You will probably want to investigate the rattlesnake vaccine, especially if your new digs are in the country or you hike.
HOTLRC has just sent out it's specialty class sponsorship list. Can I put you down for a donation? LOL
Cheers,
Keri