Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
blackflies and gnats

It's that time of year again in the northeast when the swarms of gnats and blackflies come around to bother humans and dogs.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is good for repelling them on the dog? We use Frontline Plus, so I would prefer something all natural. Skin So Soft works but it is so greasy and stinky.
Suggestions very much appreciated. Thanks.

Re: blackflies and gnats

I've had success with an all natural product called 'Insect Shoo'. You can dilute it with water and spray it on, or dab it on with a cotton ball. I dilute it and keep one spray bottle in my vehicle and one at home.

Re: Re: blackflies and gnats

I have found the Skin so Soft towelettes are not as greasy. We use them when we go out on the boat. Also, the regular skin so soft put into a spritzer and diluted, makes it not as greasy also.

I know for horses we used a product called "Flicks" fly spray. Its all natural - I've used it on the dogs and myself b/c when training outside I don't like to use OFF or other products like that if I'm feeding the dogs. It worked well and it smells good (at least I think so). I know we used it as a replacement for Skin So Soft on the horses.

I did see on the post about misters that the dogs like to lay under them because the flies don't bother them under the misters. Might be helpful...

I heard about Deo-Lotion on this Forum a year or so ago. It is an all natural fly-repellent lotion made for horses....I dilute it with water and spray each dog with it when they go outside....it smells great and it really works!! My daughter uses it on her horse full strength....I highly reccommend it !! It is made from citronella oil, clove oil, thyme, cedar and geranium oil. I think I bought it from Dover Saddlery.

Re: Re: blackflies and gnats

Thank you for all your suggestions! I appreciate it, and puppers certainly will, too.

I agree with EMA...we use Flicks..I love it!