Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Registration with kennel names

I sold a bitch 3 years ago that is due for her first litter in 4 weeks. She has my kennel name,I co-own her and I had run on her for 6 months before selling her. I am taking a puppy back from her first litter.

Is it proper for me to have my kennel name in front, or have my kennel name second on the naming of this puppy? Her owner and I have a contract together stating that this puppy back must carry my kennel name, but we did not state whether it would be first or not.

Re: Registration with kennel names

If you co-own her, then you are co-breeders. Any dog kept by you should have your kennel name first, and any kept by her should have her kennel name first. It would be optional to have both kennel names, but I would use both. Any pups sold elsewhere should have her kennel name first, and yours second, since she lives with the dam, and raised the litter.

Your kennel name now goes on second.

Re: Re: Registration with kennel names

Gotta disagree with earlier poster. You were this girl's breeder, you placed her with the option of taking a puppy back and you are still listed as co-owner. On the puppy you take back put your kennel name first and if you didn't want to list the other co-owner's kennel name, no need to feel obligated. It's done all the time.

Re: Re: Re: Registration with kennel names

To clarify,
I sold this bitch at 6 months of age. I remained on as co-own and yes I am co-breeder but I did not choose the breeding, and I have not financially supported the breeding. I will in fact be signing off on the ownership after the litter is whelped, weaned and placed. The breeder will have fulfilled our contract at that time. The breeder paid regular price for this bitch. I have no problem keeping their kennel name in the registered name. Would like to have my kennel name first but the breeder has done all the work and in someway, has earned their kennel name in there.
Checking in on customary practice.

Customary is pretty much anything you both can agree on. I've seen it done all different ways. You should discuss this with your co-owner.

does your co-owner mind if only your pick puppy carries your kennel name first and her kennel name second? The rest of the litter can go with her kennel name only.....that sounds like the best solution here...and if your co-owner agrees...so be it.

Thank you for the responses. This is his first litter and I do feel he's earned the right to his kennel name first. I will discuss this with him but wanted to have something to bring to the table first. He has been pretty open on his feelings on all conversations we have had in the past. As I stated, it was agreed my kennel name would be in there, we just never settled on first or second name.

I bought my first show prospect on a co-own with pick puppy back on first litter then I will own out right. We have to agree on stud. I pay for everything. She gets to use her kennel name on the pup. She does not have to use my kennel name when naming the pup if she does not want too. I have no problem with this. If she had not trusted me with a very nice puppy I would not be were I am now.

Every co-own is different and for one to work everything needs to be written out before hand and very clearly state what each party gets out of the co-own.

I would never let a pup go out on full registration without a co-own. This way I still have some control over if she is bred or not.

Dayna

Generally, on a co-bred litter (regardless of which party does the actual breeding/raising/etc...), the breeder/owner puts their kennel name on first, with the other co-breeder as second - there are a lot of littermates out there whose registered kennel names are flip-flopped, depending on which breeder is the owner - ie - Hyspire Sureshot or Sureshot Hyspire, Tabatha Paradocs or Paradocs Tabatha, etc... As a matter of fact, I've only put my kennel name on a bitch puppy I kept out of a co-breeding, and the other breeder only put her kennel name on her bitch puppy she kept - fine with me!

You can do whatever you two agree on. I got a puppy back from a co-breeder who couldn't care less what the pup was named. I used my kennel name only.

I have even seen where littermates from one of the above mentioned pairing arelisted in specialty catalogs as one pup having only the original breeder of the dame listed as litter breeder and the other puppy crediting both parties as co-breeder. Interesting LOL LOL

Re: Re: Re: Registration with kennel names

Maybe I am missing something, but just tell him what you'd like to do and if that's OK with him. It doesn't sound like there are any fast rules, so ask away.

If it is a co own. I would not ask permission. I would state this is what I would like to do. Then ask agree or disagree?

Honestly, I think more people make such a tadoo about where their kennel name is positioned. Really, does it matter THAT much? If you are co-owner, you will be listed as breeder as well. The dam has your kennel name too. That is plenty of information given to let the general public know your kennel contributed to this offspring.

I think it is your dog, your breeding, put your kennel name first. If you don't care, do what sounds the best and pick the best name you can and call it a day.

I just purchased a dog from a breeder (my second one from the same kennel). She insisted that I put my kennel name somewhere in the registration name. Her kennel name first of course. I thought that was so nice of her because I would not have expected putting my kennel name on her breeding.