Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
No Response

Not sure what to do. I have a litter that is coowned and the other owner won't answer my calls or emails about the litter. I want to register the litter and can't do it without her.
The puppies are 8 weeks old and still no reg.

Any ideas?

Re: No Response

Get your attorney to send her a registered letter. Can't you show up on her doorstep? Did she not agree to this breeding?

Re: Re: No Response

I wish I could show up on her doorstep but she lives over 2000 miles away. She approved the breeding and I used the stud she approved of. This starts to stress me because I respect her and she is well known and I'm a newbie in comparison. So I admit that I am intimidated by her and am afraid of doing anything else but to keep calling and emailing. I have my puppy buyers wanting their pup and sure hope this will get handled soon. I want to register the pup I'm keeping too.

Are you sure that the co-owner is home or could she/he be out of town and not have access to email or phone messages?
I recently had an experience where every email I sent was going to a friend's spam folder and every call was being deleted by a much younger member of the family that I left on the answering machine.
I would send an overnight letter with request for a signature on receipt.

It only takes one co-owner to register the litter on line...You will get the registration papers within a week...good luck

You're right - only one co-owner CAN register online, both need to sign the papers. BUT, you are SUPPOSED to have written permission from the co-owner before registering online - you can get in big trouble with AKC if you register the litter and the co-owner objects.

If this is a litter she approved of, can you have someone else try and contact her, maybe someone you both know and respect?

Actually AKC could careless about owner signatures and co-owner squables. They just want the registrations. What they say and what they do all depends on the mood of person you talk in the registration department at any given time.

Look the non responding party up in the superpages, and click on find neighbors. Don't be shy- call the neighbors and after identifying yourself as a concerned friend, ask if your co-owner person is home, or out of town on vaca or something. Neighbors usually look out for neighbors in that way. I did this once, and got the info I needed, and the woman then called me to apologize for not getting back to me sooner. www.superpages.com Good Luck

Don't do the online registration without written authorization from the co-owner. The AKC can and does fine and suspend people every month for this. I even have a letter on file from my daughter so I can do online registrations on litters we co-own.

You can send a certified letter - you don't need a lawyer. Send it certified, return receipt. I also like the friend/neighbor option. There could be something wrong. If you have made every effort to make contact, and still nothing, then send your supporting documentation to the AKC and ask to register the litter without the co-owner's signature. Very likely (they want the $$) they will grant the request.

Good luck, and I really hope the co-owner is ok.